Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cathal Daly on the Late Late Show

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cathal Daly on the Late Late Show

I remember through the haze of my youth an episode of the Late Late show in the early nineties where cardinal Cathal Daly was being interviewed on the Late Late Show and Gay Byrne asked him a question in relation to pedophilia within the church which he blew off resulting in being booed by the small audience within the Late Late.

I can't find footage of this incident anywhere online however am sure that it occurred. Can anyone confirm my memory or even better supply a link to the incident?

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I very much doubt that Byrne asked a Cardinal about paedophilia within the Church ever.?
    And nor do I think a Cardinal got booed?
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I remember it clearly and Fr. (trendy) Brian D'Arcy was very critical of the Cardinal. I found this piece:

In November 1994 when the child abuse issue was escaping the suffocating smoke of Vatican incense Cahal Daly spoke of a painful, worrying and distressing time. ‘We feel the hurt of all those who have suffered, who have been hurt, and all those whose trust in priests or religious has been abused.’ Although he did push for the case of the child rapist Brendan Smyth to be fast tracked to the RUC, it appears he had no idea of what lay ahead for the Church in Ireland, predicting only that it would experience 2 or 3 difficult years. It has now stretched into almost 2 decades and shows little sign of abating. While there is nothing to suggest he was a devious scheming chancer a la the current pope he like so many other was out of sync with the public mood on matters of Catholic clerics raping children. An appearance of the Late Late show saw him hissed and hackled by some members of the audience because of a failure to convincingly respond to criticisms made by Brain Darcy.
    No a la vista, no en mente!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My recollection of this debate was of a row between old Daly, known as the whistling bishop because of his pronunciation of the letter 's', and Fr. Brian D'Arcy in which the latter bravely confronted the head of his church in Ireland about the way the Catholic church had behaved. I've seen clips of it over the years.

There is a BBC documentary on Fr. D'Arcy on YouTube but I haven't watched it so I can't say if a clip of the Late Late debate is included.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cardinal Daly's lowest point came in the 1990s, when the audience of Ireland's premier television chat programme, The Late Late Show, booed him over his response to questions about the church's cover-up of the activities of paedophile priests.
    Cardinal Cahal Daly, former leader of Ireland's Catholics, dies at 92 | World news | The Guardian
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah well, I was wrong so.

Happy to acknowledge that....
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    That's the one alright. It's strange that the booing of a cardinal on national television would be considered a watershed moment up there with Enda Kenny's attack on the church in the Dail however there is only one clip available of it online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Never forget what the hierarchy allowed to happen to children, nor how they flailed around in their own excrement trying to cover up, after being dragged kicking, stonewalling and shrieking into the cold light of day.

Never forget any of it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr. jings View Post
    Never forget what the hierarchy allowed to happen to children, nor how they flailed around in their own excrement trying to cover up, after being dragged kicking, stonewalling and shrieking into the cold light of day.

Never forget any of it.
    Indeed! And they ought now to be handing over their precious property and international wealth to help pay for their brutal sins and not have the taxpayer picking up the tab.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast