Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: In the land of the blinkered, the one-eyed lesbian is queen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default In the land of the blinkered, the one-eyed lesbian is queen

Hi,

Well of course it's a catchy title, the whole point is to try and get feedback and traffic to the thread.

I have a number of reasonable questions to ask. But let me give you some context first. The previous site owner, Mr. David Cochrane is gay and in my opinion, this was of enormous assistance in making the site as popular and successful as it was/is.

Mr. Cochrane was on the Times Blog this morning and coincidentally highlighted a blog by Una Mullaly here on gay-bashing: Gay-bashing, gay marriage, and how the media needs to get a grip. | Pop Life

I would consider myself to be mainstream in my circumstances in that (a) I am not gay, (b) I have gay friends and (c) have had some misunderstandings in relation to gay people - I invited the work crowd at my going away party to The George out of complete innocence many moons ago....

What I'm interested is getting some feedback from this site as to where people see themselves and the country with regards to the LGBT 'dilemma'. In particular, I mention this in context with The Labour Party, because for reasons I can't fully understand, they seem to be fully committed to advancing same-sex relationships to that of a married couple. This surely puts the party on a collision course with elements within FG who are deemed inordinately conservative.

Indeed, considering the emphasis that Labour put into same-sex equality, is it possible that the division of the coalition will come from something as left-field as this?

So where are we with this subject. Based on Mullaly's article, we don't seem to have travelled too far down the road....
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The coalition won't fall over this. If it doesn't fall over abortion then it's not going to fall over this.

Personally I think this entire conversation about gay marriage is idiotic and will be one of those things we have to explain to our grandchildren when we try to justify why it took so long for equal rights to come into place. I can understand why any politician who's in favour of it would push hard for it once they get into power. It's a civil rights issue.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good OP for reflecting but I don't feel that gay rights will be the 'VAT on children's shoes' of this government. If it were to be a social issue that divides your Ivana Baciks and your Michelle Mulherins it would almost certainly abortion in my humble opinion.
    I was ready to love the world, but no one understood me, so I learned to hate.
    - Mikhail Lermontov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you want to see what happens to some gay people, then follow this trial in Arizona where the current (wo)man in the witness box, a defense witness, is busy destroying her client.

Fascinating stuff. This trial has everything: sex, murder, lies, perjury, a Prosecutor so like Columbo it's unreal, lesbians, a murder victim being dragged through the mud and a media frenzy.

Better than Grisham and a peek into how the 'sisterhood' hangs together, despite the gunshots and four inch deep neck wounds.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One would think it was a burning issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    The coalition won't fall over this. If it doesn't fall over abortion then it's not going to fall over this.

Personally I think this entire conversation about gay marriage is idiotic and will be one of those things we have to explain to our grandchildren when we try to justify why it took so long for equal rights to come into place. I can understand why any politician who's in favour of it would push hard for it once they get into power. It's a civil rights issue.
    Not really.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

I have it on good authority that the Central Bank has been infiltrated by gays. Apparently their aim is to print punts in pink ink, when the euro implodes.

For now, they are a sleeper cell, doing what public servants do best: spending their days being paid to bum around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    Not really.
    Apologies: To me it's a civil rights issue.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    Not really.
    David is Gay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Apologies: To me it's a civil rights issue.
    That's much more accurate.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast