Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk normally - we will soon be on show

Politics.ie Member DavidCaldwell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Talk normally - we will soon be on show

On a feedback thread, one of the moderation mentioned that, after the forthcoming software upgrade, the NI section will be back on the main page.

One suggestion so that we make a good impression on the wider world - that we try to stick to the same degree of politeness that we would show if we were just talking.

When talking, people don't insult each other. Why should we do it when writing?
    An East Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCaldwell View Post
    On a feedback thread, one of the moderation mentioned that, after the forthcoming software upgrade, the NI section will be back on the main page.

One suggestion so that we make a good impression on the wider world - that we try to stick to the same degree of politeness that we would show if we were just talking.

When talking, people don't insult each other. Why should we do it when writing?
    I suppose people do it mainly because the other person can't beat the living daylights out of them as a result - therefore, a feeling of invincibility. I find it annoying that I have to click right into the Northern Ireland forum to know what the latest discussions are about - I really hope that it stays back at the main page in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

TBH the Nordie forum is no worse than many other parts of this site. You only have to take a look at any thread on Europe or immigration to see all hell breaking loose. The only real reason the NI forum was taken off the main board was because of an anti Northern bias by the admin team, a bias that is still there unfortunately by many of the mods.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    TBH the Nordie forum is no worse than many other parts of this site. You only have to take a look at any thread on Europe or immigration to see all hell breaking loose. The only real reason the NI forum was taken off the main board was because of an anti Northern bias by the admin team, a bias that is still there unfortunately by many of the mods.
    In fairness, it is a little worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post
    In fairness, it is a little worse.
    It isn't really. I dare you to go onto a thread discussing immigration or same sex marriage. The sort of discussions that make you seriously worry about the future direction the human race is heading in.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It isn't really. I dare you to go onto a thread discussing immigration or same sex marriage. The sort of discussions that make you seriously worry about the future direction the human race is heading in.
    Well, I suppose, in a way, the Northern Ireland forum is a bit like a forum that is dedicated to discussing abortion, or the other two examples you used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattarigna View Post
    Well, I suppose, in a way, the Northern Ireland forum is a bit like a forum that is dedicated to discussing abortion, or the other two examples you used.
    The problem I have with the NI forum is that ALL Northern related issues are dumped here. Rather than a topic about healthcare services in Derry being placed in the Health subforum they get moved here. I feel this forum should only be for Stormont related topics. There should also be separate subforums for the other NI parties like what the site here has for FF, FG, Lab, SF, etc. In other words the NI forum should be broken up IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem I have with the NI forum is that ALL Northern related issues are dumped here. Rather than a topic about healthcare services in Derry being placed in the Health subforum they get moved here. I feel this forum should only be for Stormont related topics. There should also be separate subforums for the other NI parties like what the site here has for FF, FG, Lab, SF, etc. In other words the NI forum should be broken up IMO.
    Seems reasonable that the topics such as health, education, justice etc. should be subdivided, if people have to think about which subsection the topic comes under it might encourage them to give more thought to their answers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by physicist View Post
    Seems reasonable that the topics such as health, education, justice etc. should be subdivided, if people have to think about which subsection the topic comes under it might encourage them to give more thought to their answers.
    Exactly.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Totally agree.

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast