Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: FG TDs want Government to include "sunset clause" in X-case legislation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default FG TDs want Government to include "sunset clause" in X-case legislation

A number of pro-life FG TDs concerned about the government's plans to legislate for the X-case have put forward a proposal whereby the legislation would be reviewed after a number of years and rescinded if a majority in the Dail deemed it to have led to "abortion on demand" (assuming of course that the majority would be opposed to "abortion on demand") - in effect the legislation would have a "sunset clause".

I'm unfamiliar with any instances of previous legislation passed in the Dail having a "sunset clause" and it is best known in the US and Canada where Collins dictionary defines a "sunset clause" as "a provision of a law that it will automatically be terminated after a fixed period unless it is extended by law."

The exact details of how this would work in an Irish context would still have to be ironed out and it has already been put to Enda Kenny by Cork South West TD Jim Daly who urged him to accept the proposal. Other FG TDs known to be supporting the proposal include Lucinda Creighton, John O'Mahony and Tom Creed who initially came up with the proposal.

Labour bigwig Pat Rabbitte gave mixed signals on the proposal, saying he had no objection to a review of the legislation but didn't believe it was necessary to include a sunset clause.

Call for 'sunset clause' in abortion legislation - RTÉ News

This is a sensible proposal in my view and could avoid a division in FG when it comes to voting for the X-case legislation. Nevertheless, I am still firmly of the view that a threat of suicide should never be a valid reason for abortion and will await the publication of the legislation in full to see if it restrictive or permissive in this regard before making up my mind on it.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Drop the bomb and walk off into the sunset?

Wimps!
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If only a sunset clause could be put on the lying politicians in the dail, look how far reaching that would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Idiotic idea. Any law can be re-looked at by the Dail at any time by definition. Any law can be rewritten if the dail agrees - sunset clause or not.

This is obviously just a time bomb for the next government.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

WTF are they at? Are they idiots? The legislation is specifically being brought in to deal with a supreme court point that the current law is in breach of the constitution, and a specific order from the ECHR.

So what these morons are asking for is a clause in legislation to allow a future govt breach the constitution and the ECHR ruling? Cretins.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Window dressing. If, after a certain length of time, it is felt the law should change or be dropped, just introduce such legislation in the Dáil.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I'm not aware of any constitutional validity for a sunset clause in Ireland.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    WTF are they at? Are they idiots? The legislation is specifically being brought in to deal with a supreme court point that the current law is in breach of the constitution, and a specific order from the ECHR.

So what these morons are asking for is a clause in legislation to allow a future govt breach the constitution and the ECHR ruling? Cretins.

You have just, only just mind you, moved up a little in my opinion.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post

It's just part of the general tendency to pretend that the X ruling has no real force. Through the Looking Glass stuff.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is sensible to include a clause that will force a future government to have another vote if limited abortion legislation leads to wholesale child murder.

Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast