Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Labour/FG deliberately ignorant of NI?

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Are Labour/FG deliberately ignorant of NI?

So I was watching 'The Week in Politics' on RTE today and in response to Gerry Adams' call on Labour to leave the coalition Pat Rabbitte who was on the show responded by refusing to address the question but merely criticised SF for their "hypocrisy in terms of backing rates in NI but opposing the property tax in the south".

Now this is not the first time the stickies and their blueshirt partners in FG have made such claims yet a simple google will reveal that rates up north while costing around 3 times more than property tax covers a wide varity of services which we have to pay for in the south such education/books, emergency services, health, housing, roads water, sewerage and bin collection. Now if I were to recieve all of those services I'd be more than happy to pay it unlike in the south where we dont get similar benefits.

However this is not the first time Rabbitte, Labour or the government are guilty of such ignorance about the situation in northern ireland. Is this a deliberate ignorance about northern ireland? Do LB/FG not understand how the social welfare system works and how the assembly in northern ireland only have limited control over taxation in northern ireland? Deliberate ignorance or an attempt at party politics?
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Politics.ie Member friendlyfire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They can't justify all the stealth taxes(the old argument it was FF/troika) just ain't working anymore.So they make outlandish statements about policy in the North, and the complement media just give them a free run...... no scrutiny whatsoever.

Rabbitte is so played out it is boring!
    Stupidity is far more fascinating than intelligence, after all intelligence has it's limits.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have to agree with this. The image that comes across is that Labour and Fine Gael seem to be very much 26 county parties and that as far as they are concerned NI seems to be full of aliens from Mars. Open to correction, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Pat View Post
    Have to agree with this. The image that comes across is that Labour and Fine Gael seem to be very much 26 county parties and that as far as they are concerned NI seems to be full of aliens from Mars. Open to correction, of course.
    Pretty spot on really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is Leo going to Thatchers funeral?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    So I was watching 'The Week in Politics' on RTE today and in response to Gerry Adams' call on Labour to leave the coalition Pat Rabbitte who was on the show responded by refusing to address the question but merely criticised SF for their "hypocrisy in terms of backing rates in NI but opposing the property tax in the south".

Now this is not the first time the stickies and their blueshirt partners in FG have made such claims yet a simple google will reveal that rates up north while costing around 3 times more than property tax covers a wide varity of services which we have to pay for in the south such education/books, emergency services, health, housing, roads water, sewerage and bin collection. Now if I were to recieve all of those services I'd be more than happy to pay it unlike in the south where we dont get similar benefits.

However this is not the first time Rabbitte, Labour or the government are guilty of such ignorance about the situation in northern ireland. Is this a deliberate ignorance about northern ireland? Do LB/FG not understand how the social welfare system works and how the assembly in northern ireland only have limited control over taxation in northern ireland? Deliberate ignorance or an attempt at party politics?
    Perhaps you would enlighten us and tell us what you think the government parties should be saying/doing about NI ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vaudeville View Post
    He's too grief stricken to attend. Poor man.

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Perhaps you would enlighten us and tell us what you think the government parties should be saying/doing about NI ?
    Making efforts towards Irish unity is one I'd say but thats wishful thinking....

As I highlighted in the OP they should at least get their facts right before talking sh*te on tv/radio
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vaudeville View Post
    No, Ruairi Quinn (Labour) is.

OP "Deliberate ignorance or an attempt at party politics?"

It's both mate, deliberate ignorance in order to play party politics. These parties play the do nothing game when it comes to a UI, although they would welcome it if Unionists could be persuaded, also, I reckon FG have a lot of Unionists in their ranks who'd like to see some kind of new relationship with Britain.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can see no evidence that the politicians of Labour and Fine Gael are any more ignorant about Northern Ireland that the general Eire population. I used to think that the average, common or garden Eireperson did not understand Northern Ireland but, in recent years, my opinion on that has changed. The average Eireperson does not know basic facts and that ignorance extends even to the higher reaches of Eire society.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast