Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: Should the Govt. have the power to sack a Judge?

Voters
423. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

138 32.62%
  • No

258 60.99%
  • Do not know

27 6.38%
Page 1 of 109 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Judge Peter Kelly claims government is attacking judicial independence

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Judge Peter Kelly claims government is attacking judicial independence

The front page of today's Sunday Business Post reports that Mr Justice Peter Kelly of the High Court has launched an unprecedented attack on the government and the Minister for Justice, Alan Shatter. At a speech before businessmen during the week, he alleged that the government had undermined the independence of the judiciary, and that this could have repercussions for Ireland's reputation as a safe place to do business. He mentioned the judicial pay refendum, the proposals to bring in a court of appeal and family courts, and the breakdown in communication between the government and the judiciary in his allegations of interference.

The story is behind a pay wall and I don't have a copy of the paper in front of me, so if anyone else has better details please post them. But these comments (from a highly respected judge who can in no way be dismissed as a FF stooge) are quite astonishing and arguably could create a constitutional crisis. Surely Shatter will have to be moved by Kenny whenever the reshuffle takes place.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

"I haven't read the article and I don't know what he said so I've no real input as to its accuracy, but this is a constitutional crisis and SURELY the minister must lose his place now!!!"
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    "I haven't read the article and I don't know what he said so I've no real input as to its accuracy, but this is a constitutional crisis and SURELY the minister must lose his place now!!!"
    Sorry for bothering to contribute a thread on this issue.

Tosser

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Don't apologise, it's always valuable to see who the most easily influenced people on the board are.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just sour Grapes by the Judge because his pay was cut by this government

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Between Shatter and Mr. Justice Peter Kelly, I certainly know who I would have a lot more respect for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mr Justice Peter Kelly said the handling by this government of a range of issues - from Judges pay to the establishment of new courts - was an attack on the independence of the Judiciary and carried significant risks for the country.

He highlighted the impact of new legislation on Judges' pay pensions and the promised establishment of new courts with no guarantee that they would be filled by judges from within the courts system as the key factors threatening judicial independence.

He also pointed out that communication has broken down between government and the Judiciary in the last two years. There had been formal and informal methods of communication since the foundation of the State up until two years ago.

The personal insolvency service would be overseen by civil servants undermining the Judiciary.

Lots more. Buy the paper.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member NewGoldDream's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While I think clearly he has a point, and he is highly regarded, and has shown no fear or favouritism, and Shatter is undoubtedly an utter gob@@@@e who has treated the office with contempt...is it entirely appropriate for a Judge to be wading into the political?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Might be worth buying the paper. But one simple question: are judges political appointees?
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are people really so stupid and blind that they can't see he's right? Irish governments have successively destroyed any semblance of independence on the part of local government, reduced the Seanad and the Dáil to rubber-stamp bodies where they never lose a vote, and now people are blithely accepting that the only remaining part of our constitutional architecture the executive haven't removed as an impediment to their decisions should be attacked in turn because "dose judges earn too much, let's see how dey like it up 'em". Just as the councils were initially hollowed out by the highly popular removal of domestic rates.

When a government does something highly popular affecting the constitutional architecture of the country, it is not doing it for anyone's benefit but its own. And we won't get the "wake up sheeple!" brigade discussing this issue, even though this one will for once genuinely affect the level of government control of the country, because constitutional architecture is boring stuff. It's where real change happens, though, and it happens in every FG-led government.
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Page 1 of 109 123451151101 ... LastLast