Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leo Varadkar's €80 Clamping Fee Limit - Far Too High!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Leo Varadkar's €80 Clamping Fee Limit - Far Too High!

Leo Varadkar's proposal to "limit" clamping release fees to €80 is being reported on as if this is somehow a reasonable amount to charge.
    I strongly disagree! €80 is a draconian penalty for what might be a very minor transgression of parking regulations. Not to mention the indignity and inconvenience of being delayed and the public embarrassment of being forced to wait at the clamped vehicle for the clampers to come and release it - irrespective of the fee charged for this "service".

Varadkar not for turning on

For myself, I would consider any threat of clamping my car for not paying the correct parking fee or for not correctly displaying the ticket (from which they removed the adhesive some time ago) for overstaying the parking period by a few minutes to be completely draconian!

Whatever happened to parking tickets with moderate penalties for minor parking transgressions? Why and how did it become the first step to put a clamp on a car thus delaying the freeing up of the occupied space?

The proposed maximum of €80 is a very substantial charge (ten times the hourly rate of minimum pay) and something like €20 (four or five times the parking fee) might be a more reasonable penalty with perhaps €40 for a second offence within a month.

Dublin City Council have put forward the disingenuous argument that statistics on repeat offences show that for a very small minority of people the clamping fee has weak deterrent value. Do these statistics reflect whether such repeat offenders have their clamping fees paid for by employers or their companies? for myself I consider the risk of clamping my car to be a very serious deterrent even if there were no release fee - the delay and embarrassment in themselves is worth taking the trouble to avoid.

For some very well off people, any clamping fee may be affordable but for most people the proposed €80 would represent a very severe and unaffordable imposition. Imagine someone in mortgage arrears or on welfare and barely able to make ends meet and getting caught by clampers for arriving back from say a job interview a few minutes late and having to find €80 just to get back the car they probably can barely afford to keep on the road. That is the reality of life for many people - a world far removed from the smug life of Dublin City Council officials and of the Minister.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So don't park illegally. I fail to see why the rest of the world needs to be put out/endangered due to people's inability to manage their own time or because they were too lazy/incompetant to park correctly.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    So don't park illegally. I fail to see why the rest of the world needs to be put out/endangered due to people's inability to manage their own time or because they were too lazy/incompetant to park correctly.
    That's quite the battle outside Hollis Street hospital. I had to run out and feed the meter, not long before the baby popped out!
    I have no money, but I love my life.

1 Mystery Street, Mysterytown, Mysteryland.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I predict Super Glue sales to skyrocket in Ireland shortly...

You heard it here first...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Spoken like a true blue. Maggie would have been proud

Clampers 'sorry' after father held up taking sick boy to hospital - Independent.ie
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    That's quite the battle outside Hollis Street hospital. I had to run out and feed the meter, not long before the baby popped out!
    Generally I do not have an issue with clamping however I do believe that there should be some leeway for those visiting/attending hospitals. The whole issue of parking charges/clamping in hospitals needs to be addressed
    I was in Tralee General Hospital some time ago and an elderly man asked me to help him with his parking ticket, he didn't know how to work the pay machine. It transpired that his parking fee was something around €20 and he was genuinely upset at the cost, it was a huge sum to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Having to pay the exorbitant parking fees at hospitals should be investigated. Why are people parking at hospitals you might ask but it is all about money sadly enough.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    Generally I do not have an issue with clamping however I do believe that there should be some leeway for those visiting/attending hospitals. The whole issue of parking charges/clamping in hospitals needs to be addressed
    I was in Tralee General Hospital some time ago and an elderly man asked me to help him with his parking ticket, he didn't know how to work the pay machine. It transpired that his parking fee was something around €20 and he was genuinely upset at the cost, it was a huge sum to him.
    Sitting ducks. It's how we fund our health services, in this country.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Boggle

I don't get why clamping is legal. It's interfering with the property of others, especially when the car is towed and penal rates applied to get the car back.

It strikes me as sacrificing justice for expediency and it is something that should have no place in a civilised society.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    I don't get why clamping is legal. It's interfering with the property of others, especially when the car is towed and penal rates applied to get the car back.

It strikes me as sacrificing justice for expediency and it is something that should have no place in a civilised society.
    They don't tow them as that sets off the alarm. It also requires the handbrake to be off and the gearbox in neutral. They pick them up and put them on a flatbed.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast