Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: What should the BBC do in relation to "that song"?

Voters
212. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Play the song

169 79.72%
  • Don't play the song

31 14.62%
  • Play a censored version

3 1.42%
  • OMG! Margaret Thatcher is dead?

9 4.25%
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBC's dilemma: to play or not to play that song?

Johnny Boy

Default The BBC's dilemma: to play or not to play that song?

'Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead' closer to number one spot as it reaches top five following Margaret Thatcher's death - News - Music - The Independent

The Wizard Of Oz song "Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead" is racing to the top of the UK charts this week following the death of Margaret Thatcher. Clearly worried about whether to play the song or not, if it reaches No. 1, the BBC have admitted that they are undecided, caught between being accused of censorship if they refuse, and downright bad taste if they do.
    A Daily Telegraph commentator today said that it might be the "most inappropriate and gratuitously offensive number one hit single ever". Thatcher's critics might well respond that she in turn was the "most inappropriate and gratuitously offensive British prime minister ever".
    The best argument I've heard for propelling the song into the charts is that it is acting as a counter-balance to the cloyingly positive media coverage over the last few days, which has been irritating for someone (i.e. myself) who despised everything she stood for.
    The argument against i.e. good taste, is so obvious as to not need a huge amount of elaboration.
    My own view: it is in bad taste, but the BBC should go ahead and respect the verdict of record buyers, and stick to its usual custom of playing the week's No. 1, whatever that happens to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie, Dead, Dead, Dead,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it is the normal custom for the BBC to play the song at the top of the charts then they should continue to do so.

It is not up to the BBC to censor music, really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    'Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead' closer to number one spot as it reaches top five following Margaret Thatcher's death - News - Music - The Independent

The Wizard Of Oz song "Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead" is racing to the top of the UK charts this week following the death of Margaret Thatcher. Clearly worried about whether to play the song or not, if it reaches No. 1, the BBC have admitted that they are undecided, caught between being accused of censorship if they refuse, and downright bad taste if they do.
    A Daily Telegraph commentator today said that it might be the "most inappropriate and gratuitously offensive number one hit single ever". Thatcher's critics might well respond that she in turn was the "most inappropriate and gratuitously offensive British prime minister ever".
    The best argument I've heard for propelling the song into the charts is that it is acting as a counter-balance to the cloyingly positive media coverage over the last few days, which has been irritating for someone (i.e. myself) who despised everything she stood for.
    The argument against i.e. good taste, is so obvious as to not need a huge amount of elaboration.
    My own view: it is in bad taste, but the BBC should go ahead and respect the verdict of record buyers, and stick to its usual custom of playing the week's No. 1, whatever that happens to be.
    Agreed, free speech must win out in any clash with taste.
    Exercise of good taste ought to be volunteered, it can't be imposed.
    genua, et asinus praesepe Osculer, oro

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They must play the song. Show the tributes and the criticism. There is bitterly divided opinion on her and the role of the BBC is to report the truth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theres no free speech issue, whether they play it or not.

Play it on the chart shows sure, there's no obligation or reason for the other channels/shows to play it.

They frequently decide that certain stuff isn't for them (I remember robbie Williams and status quo being left off the playlists for instance).
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who are the BBC to question the choice of the nation? Seriously, those clowns need to get a life.
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Narcissist View Post
    If it is the normal custom for the BBC to play the song at the top of the charts then they should continue to do so.

It is not up to the BBC to censor music, really.
    They've done it before. Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax was number one for weeks when I was a teenager and the BBC refused to play it. Top of the Pops ended for weeks on end at #2 in the charts with no mention of what was #1. Mad stuff.

Crazed right-wingers will always find some way to foam at the mouth and try to get stuff banned that in any way pokes fun at their lunacy, bad taste or not. They hate this, not because it is in bad taste, but because it doesn't accord the automatic deference and respect right-wingers demand for their own. They get very cranky when they aren't grovelled to by the plebs they despise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    A Daily Telegraph commentator today said that it might be the "most inappropriate and gratuitously offensive number one hit single ever".
    Well if it gets to number one then it's just one more triumph for market forces - surely that would be a fitting tribute to the woman?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Tories are in danger of overplaying their hand and antagonising lots of moderate people with their inappropriate imperial funeral for Thatcher. They'll really do themselves no favours if they attempt to suppress any dissenting opinions, no matter how relatively innocuous.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast