Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 100 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it ok for a gaelscoil to change the names of the kids that attend?

Dylan2010

Default Is it ok for a gaelscoil to change the names of the kids that attend?

There is an amusing thread I came across Boards where a parent was complaining that the Gaelscoil keep referring her daughter in the Irish translation of her real name and the daughter is not happy about it . Is this acceptable? your name is your name and for instance you don't change it when you go abroad to the local French or German version of it.
    I like the concept of a gaelscoil but is it a bit desperate to deploy tokenism at every turn?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is Margaret thatcher in Irish?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ottovonbismarck View Post
    What is Margaret thatcher in Irish?
    marbh
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    There is an amusing thread I came across Boards where a parent was complaining that the Gaelscoil keep referring her daughter in the Irish translation of her real name and the daughter is not happy about it . Is this acceptable? your name is your name and for instance you don't change it when you go abroad to the local French or German version of it.
    I like the concept of a gaelscoil but is it a bit desperate to deploy tokenism at every turn?
    Emm, seems a bit odd that this lady would chose to send her child to a Gaelcsoil and then be unhappy that the child's name in Irish was used. Maybe the Gaelscoil "ethos" may not agree with her.

Tokenism? Com'on. You're not really serious are you?
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do they change their names, as you suggest, or merely translate them?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A problem often occurs when someone had an anglo-norman or non gaelic name, the translation was often contrived and seemed 'makey-uppy'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It happened to my Son and it wasn't even a Gaelscoil, it was a VEC school, I had to sort it with the teacher as she was putting her Irish version of my Son's name forward for certification. She argued and was very unreasonable, I asked her a few times if she was at the Christening. Crazy person, just because she was vice-Principal and taught Irish my Son (on her whim) had to be Padraig instead of Patrick.
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Emm, seems a bit odd that this lady would chose to send her child to a Gaelcsoil and then be unhappy that the child's name in Irish was used. Maybe the Gaelscoil "ethos" may not agree with her.
    it depends, sometimes you go with the balance of things, but firstly its the kid thats not happy with it, so is the kid not entitled to be called by their real name?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should Sean be called John in a non Gaelscoil? The gaelgoirs would go mental so they would!
    Last edited by LOCALHERO; 11th April 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We all can remember this kind of child abuse from our own school days. Your own name which is precious to you was changed by teachers at a whim to their idea of Gaelic version. This new name (my "slave name" as I came to think of it) was used by the school and teachers all through school years until my "release" at Leaving Cert. Decades later it still rankles. How dare they do this!

As far as Gaelgeoiri are concerned, they have always had fascist tendencies and re-engineering childrens' names to fit in with their deluded vision of a gaelic speaking Ireland would be par for their course. Do not allow them Report them to the Dept of Education. At least the current Minister for Education is a reasonable man.

Page 1 of 100 123451151 ... LastLast