Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are ticket touts and half empty stadiums and theatres market failures?

Dylan2010

Default Are ticket touts and half empty stadiums and theatres market failures?

Anyone who has gone to a conert, theather show, very popular sports event or one not so will either have a ticket thats worth more than they paid for it or will attend events will possibly have lots of empty seats. In an age when we have seen airline deal with the "empty seat" problem quite well, theatres dont seem to have moved on. Given the technology is it not possibe to simply reverse action all tickets to ensure all seats are always sold? the ticket tout will then not be needed and more people will get to see more events at a price they are willing to pay.
    A while back I took the family to the Grand canal theatre and they switched our tickets to close the upper levels as it was only half full. why not as London have done have discouted ticket sales on the day in booths around the city or simply online?
    On the flip side reverse aution 6 nations tickets and let the guy who want to pay 200€ for a ticket do so?

An example of people impsing "wrong" prices

BBC - Newsbeat - Festival boss criticises government over ticket resales

A top UK festival boss says he's "disappointed" that the government isn't taking action over the resale of tickets for live music events, like it has for the London Olympics.

Reselling tickets for London 2012 outside of authorised resellers is illegal.

Melvin Benn said the decision not to regulate the resale market for music had "left the problem with us".

The government says it has no intention of regulating the websites.

'Touting problem'

Melvin Benn, who organises events such as the Reading and Leeds and Latitude festivals, told Newsbeat: "I do feel it's one rule for one thing and one rule for another.

"The Olympics did it the easy way. The just wrote a law and passed it. They've got that mechanic at hand to them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tickets touts will share a place in hell with Thatcher
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by controller View Post
    Tickets touts will share a place in hell with Thatcher
    but its the fault in that case of selling off the tickets too cheaply, the money would be better off going back to the event organiser and maybe allow cheaper tickets for other events? And again the flip side, if I want to go to say an Ireland soccer game with the kids but its only "worth" €10 to me, why do they not try to facilitate me when the alternative in an empty seat? I might even spend more on food etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    but its the fault in that case of selling off the tickets too cheaply, the money would be better off going back to the event organiser and maybe allow cheaper tickets for other events? And again the flip side, if I want to go to say an Ireland soccer game with the kids but its only "worth" €10 to me, why do they not try to facilitate me when the alternative in an empty seat? I might even spend more on food etc.
    It looks as if it will probably come your way before too long: Sports ticketing: The price is right | The Economist
    Never let the best be the enemy of the good.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by ibis View Post
    It looks as if it will probably come your way before too long: Sports ticketing: The price is right | The Economist
    thats great, exactly what I thought ought to be happening more

As a result, just three years after the San Francisco Giants became the first MLB team to offer seats with no set face value, over half the game's clubs are using dynamic pricing. According to Mr Kahn, the impact on teams' bottom lines has been substantial. By adjusting the price of a given seat by as much as five or six times over, they have been able to raise full-price attendance by 15% and total ticket revenue by 30%.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For anyone in this country wanting to avoid the touts... Index page | Buy or sell tickets in Ireland | Toutless.com

Your only man. Great site which I've had cause to use on more than one occasion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Personally I think the GAA should try and remodel Croke park. turn it into a 50,000 seater stadium along the lines of the Olympic stadium in the UK. How to do this? I am not an Engineer. but maybe they could have a competition to remodel it.
    Lets keep Dublin litter free- Coinnigh Atha Cliatha glán

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Remember this from Channel 4 Dispatches series last year, Viagogo a company similar to ticketmaster,tried to stop the programme going on air.The high court ruled in favour of Channel 4.
    The programme revealed lots of unsavoury practices from the ticket sellers.
    Among them were,“The majority of tickets offered for sale through viagogo are not from individual fans but from large scale professional ticket resellers or tickets allocated by promoters to viagogo.
    viagogo staff compete directly with real fans to buy tickets from primary ticket sellers, like Ticketmaster, for in demand events as soon as they go on sale. To get around systems put in place to prevent bulk buying of tickets, viagogo staff use multiple credit cards registered to different addresses.

Viagogo Fails to Stop 'The Great Ticket Scandal'

"You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The airlines have been using flexible pricing for decades, hotels have followed more recently. So, yes theatres and stadiums should use the same model. Not sure that it will remove the ticket tout (unless you match tickets to ID on entry, which is not feasible in somewhere like Croke Park).
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redneck View Post
    Personally I think the GAA should try and remodel Croke park. turn it into a 50,000 seater stadium along the lines of the Olympic stadium in the UK. How to do this? I am not an Engineer. but maybe they could have a competition to remodel it.
    Absolutely no need to do this, the lower decks are sold first and when the numbers do not require it the upper decks are closed.

The massive error made was ever building that horrible kip that is the Aviva, if heads were knocked together there would have been no need for it and Croker could have been utilised to the max and the GAA, FAI and IRFU would be all be far wealthier organisations. It was a big bugle for Delaney and the IRFU no more no less.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast