Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: Judge Suggests a Judicial Commission to Oversee Judicial Appointments

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    48,228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Judge Suggests a Judicial Commission to Oversee Judicial Appointments

    Mr Justice Frank Clarke is reported to have suggested setting up a form of judicial commission to take responsibility for judges’ appointments, their terms and conditions and discipline. This body could include representatives from politics, the law and civil society, with members of the latter group being nominated by the president.

    “So far as political representation is concerned, there is an argument for suggesting that it should not be confined to the government of the day but should also include persons nominated by the Oireachtas to ensure that there was reasonable representation for all streams of political thought,” the judge said.

    “A more broadly based political representation would, of course, reduce any perception that appointments were made on a party political basis”.

    What do yee think?

    New body could handle judicial nominations and pay, judge suggests - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Thu, Apr 11, 2013
    New High Court judge has strong links to coalition - Independent.ie
    Will ALL new judges have ties to FG/Lab? – NewsScoops.Org - Irish Newspaper Investigations
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member bactrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Mr Justice Frank Clarke is reported to have suggested setting up a form of judicial commission to take responsibility for judges’ appointments, their terms and conditions and discipline. This body could include representatives from politics, the law and civil society, with members of the latter group being nominated by the president.

    “So far as political representation is concerned, there is an argument for suggesting that it should not be confined to the government of the day but should also include persons nominated by the Oireachtas to ensure that there was reasonable representation for all streams of political thought,” the judge said.

    “A more broadly based political representation would, of course, reduce any perception that appointments were made on a party political basis”.

    What do yee think?

    New body could handle judicial nominations and pay, judge suggests - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Thu, Apr 11, 2013
    New High Court judge has strong links to coalition - Independent.ie
    Will ALL new judges have ties to FG/Lab? – NewsScoops.Org - Irish Newspaper Investigations
    I read the newspaper report and the online report on the IT website. The IT website report has the full speech given by Mr.Justice Clarke. It is worthwhile reading the whole speech. It is a very measured speech which raises topics for discussion and which acknowledges

    "Any proper solution to the problem of marrying independence and accountability requires a real dialogue between those within and without the legal community. That requires lawyers and judges to engage with others, but it also requires engagement, in the other direction, with the legitimate concerns of those in the legal community and, perhaps, an acknowledgement that not all who raise problems do so out of self-interest and that there truly are difficult questions often with no easy answers and which require significant consideration. "

    The speech deals with Judicial appointments, Judicial pay , and Judicial misconduct.
    Just because you did something stupid yesterday does not mean you cannot do something smart today!

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member ger12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    48,228
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bactrian View Post
    I read the newspaper report and the online report on the IT website. The IT website report has the full speech given by Mr.Justice Clarke. It is worthwhile reading the whole speech. It is a very measured speech which raises topics for discussion and which acknowledges

    "Any proper solution to the problem of marrying independence and accountability requires a real dialogue between those within and without the legal community. That requires lawyers and judges to engage with others, but it also requires engagement, in the other direction, with the legitimate concerns of those in the legal community and, perhaps, an acknowledgement that not all who raise problems do so out of self-interest and that there truly are difficult questions often with no easy answers and which require significant consideration. "

    The speech deals with Judicial appointments, Judicial pay , and Judicial misconduct.
    He certainly seems very measured and clever. I agree, his speech is well worth a read.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Any proposal from Frank Clarke is worth considereing

  5. #5

    Default

    I agree with the principle. Out of curisity, does anybody know who appointed this good judge?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cylon-occupied Caprica
    Posts
    3,658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergo2 View Post
    Any proposal from Frank Clarke is worth considereing
    Agreed.

    And once this council is set up, 15 mins later we can all start calling Liveline to complain about how the Government has appointed its cronies to the Judicial Commission.....

    Round and around we go......

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member corelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,522
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I agree with the principle. Out of curisity, does anybody know who appointed this good judge?
    FF/PD Government. McDowell was the mover behind it. McDowell, with all his faults, made some very good appointments to the superiour courts.

    Clarke, along with McMenamen, who was appointed at the same time, are, to be fair, well known FG'rs.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member borntorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by corelli View Post
    FF/PD Government. McDowell was a judge. McDowell, with all his faults, made some very good appointments to the superiour courts.

    Clarke, along with McMenamen, who was appointed at the same time, are, to be fair, well known FG'rs.

    Whereas the current government seem to have pretty much unanimously selected judges from their own side

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Aindriu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Posts
    8,689
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The appointment of judges should never be political. Judges are supposed to be apolitical.
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cylon-occupied Caprica
    Posts
    3,658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aindriu View Post
    The appointment of judges should never be political. Judges are supposed to be apolitical.
    And what about the appointment of the Judicial Commission? Who would appoint them?

    I'm presuming politicians should be stripped of that as well. Maybe we can establish a Judicial Commission Appointments Commission?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •