Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Radicalism in the Irish Community in Scotland - Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Radicalism in the Irish Community in Scotland - Podcast

Near Podcasts » The History Show Episode Nine

On this episode of the Irish History Show on Near FM we talk to Alex O'Fhailghigh about Irish radicalism in Scotland. Covering such topics as Irish immigration in the wake of the 1798 Rebellion; the Chartists; their role in Labour movement and Trade Unionism; the IRB; the Land League in Scotland and up to James Connolly.

You can like the Irish History Show on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishHistoryShow

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That is a really interesting 'cast - thank you for sharing it. Both the Scottish section - interesting that the Irish dominated Docking in both Glasgow and Edinburgh - and the section on Historiography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    That is a really interesting 'cast - thank you for sharing it. Both the Scottish section - interesting that the Irish dominated Docking in both Glasgow and Edinburgh - and the section on Historiography
    Thanks Cruimh. It's a fascinating history and one I think a lot of people in Ireland would be unaware of.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alex O'Fhailghigh
    I can't get my head around that spelling.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    I can't get my head around that spelling.
    O' Ay - Lee believe it or not

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cb1979 View Post
    O' Ay - Lee believe it or not
    That just confused me more. The fact he puts a séimhiú after the ó is also highly unusual. I would have thought al-yig or al-yee for pronunciation. Does he have much Irish?
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd really have to get him on to give a full explanation but I remember him saying to me that it is the Irish version of Farley and the correct pronunciation is O' Ay - Lee but most people say O' Fay - Lee and he doesn't correct them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm curious too. It is a combination of letters that Irish doesn't usually pronounce. Usually when you get a word like this, Irish simplifies it so you are not left with a tongue twister.

D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riadach View Post
    That just confused me more. The fact he puts a séimhiú after the ó is also highly unusual. I would have thought al-yig or al-yee for pronunciation. Does he have much Irish?
    It's unusual but not unprecedented. The surname Lynn is derived from Ó Fhloinn for instance. I guess adding the séimhiú is an Ulster thing.
    "I put down the welter of corruption in Irish politics to Burke's escape from retribution after that exposure in 1974. It gave everybody in the game a licence to steal."

- Joe MacAnthony

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Any thoughts on the contents of the podcast?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast