Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: One of the main Syrian rebel groups pledges loyalty to al Qaeda- what now for The West ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default One of the main Syrian rebel groups pledges loyalty to al Qaeda- what now for The West ?

As the title says:
    BBC News - Syria crisis: Al-Nusra pledges allegiance to al-Qaeda

The Arab Spring is turning into a right mess, and Islamic jihadists are probably more active than any time since 9/11

Is American foreign policy correct/effective at dealing with jihadism ? Should Ireland be concerned / what action can we take ?

Personally I think that US foreign policy needs to be questioned, and I'd favour even more intervention (backed up with economic development). I also think Ireland should get involved , even to the extent of giving up our neutrality.

cYp
    Last edited by cyberianpan; 10th April 2013 at 05:02 PM.
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

America shouldn't be involved at all...that's what led to this mess in the first place ffs

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    As the title says:

The Arab Spring is turning into a right mess, and Islamic jihadists are probably more active than any time since 9/11

Is American foreign policy correct/effective at dealing with jihadism ? Should Ireland be concerned / what action can we take ?
    If by "dealing with" you mean promoting , funding and expanding , then yes , its very effective. Thank god your not in charge of Irish Foreign policy that you would readily consign Irish soldiers and money to killing kids in the Middle East.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The USA have been idiotically arming, funding and training Islamic fundamentalists since the invasion of Afghanistan.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    As the title says:

Personally I think that US foreign policy needs to be questioned, and I'd favour even more intervention (backed up with economic development). I also think Ireland should get involved , even to the extent of giving up our neutrality.

cYp
    Last edited by Lain2016; 10th April 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

meh...not really surpised tbh.... Wonder how this will effect reporting of the conflict, will these boyos now be labelled terrorists, which Syria always claimed they were, or are they still going to be labelled rebels/freedom fighters.
    I run a tight ship, not a shight tip - Winston Ingram
    Fianna Fail, Fine Gael. Two cheeks of the same arse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This was why the US was so hesitant to get involved in the first place, despite wingnuts like John McCain insisting the rebels be armed. While there are many genuine secular rebel groups operating in Syria there is still the danger that arming these non jihadis will see weapons ending up in the hands of the Al-Nusra front. Time to walk away from the whole Arab Spring. Let the Arabs sort themselves out, no need for us to involve ourselves any longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Collegebhoy View Post
    meh...not really surpised tbh.... Wonder how this will effect reporting of the conflict, will these boyos now be labelled terrorists, which Syria always claimed they were, or are they still going to be labelled rebels/freedom fighters.
    There are legitimate armed groups fighting for the freedom of Syria. Unfortunately it is likely these secularists will be swept away in any post Assad Syria, like what we've seen in Egypt and Libya.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    The USA have been idiotically arming, funding and training Islamic fundamentalists since the invasion of Afghanistan.
    the Russian one or the US one?

Gimpanzee

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Experiment View Post
    If by "dealing with" you mean promoting , funding and expanding , then yes , its very effective. Thank god your not in charge of Irish Foreign policy that you would readily consign Irish soldiers and money to killing kids in the Middle East.
    You're a fanboy for the Irish guys who are over there already 'freedom fighting' with the rebels aren't you?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast