Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Helmut Kohl: I acted like a dictator to bring in the euro

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Helmut Kohl: I acted like a dictator to bring in the euro

From today's Daily Telegraph...
    Helmut Kohl, Germany’s former chancellor, has admitted that he acted like a “dictator” to bring in the single currency to the country, otherwise he “would have lost” had he held a referendum.

In an interview conducted for a journalist’s PhD thesis, Germany’s longest-serving postwar chancellor said that he would have lost any popular vote on the euro by an overwhelming majority.

“I knew that I could never win a referendum in Germany,” he said. “We would have lost a referendum on the introduction of the euro. That’s quite clear. I would have lost and by seven to three.”
    Kohl interviewed by a German journalist in 2002, the year when the Deutsche Mark was replaced by the euro, but oddly enough it has only been published now.
    At some point the gloves must come off and we face our adversaries.
    We're all Rhodesians now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the show Helmut

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well at least he doesn't apologise for it... cos that would be stomach churning...

Have to say I'm sick to death hearing people on fat salaries and pensions etc. either telling us the bleedin' obvious or worse, expressing regret for their involvement in all the f*** ups while they continue to live off EU citizens like the parasites they are...

F*** off Helmut & Co...

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post
    Well at least he doesn't apologise for it... cos that would be stomach churning...

Have to say I'm sick to death hearing people on fat salaries and pensions etc. either telling us the bleedin' obvious or worse, expressing regret for their involvement in all the f*** ups while they continue to live off EU citizens like the parasites they are...

F*** off Helmut & Co...
    He commented on this in 2002.
    11 years later and he's all like
    "It wassent me, it was the one armed man"
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Greeks protesting outside the offices of the technocrat government have been proven correct.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Gimpanzee

Daily Telegraph logic

Non-Iron chancellor - uncool dictator
    Iron Lady - Not at all dictatorish, but somehow the saviour of Britain, through stomping on enemies.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post

F*** off Helmut & Co...
    A journalist doing his PhD interviewed Kohl back in 2002. The thesis appears to have been published only recently. Kohl gave some background information regarding Germany's adoption of the euro, stating that the majority of the CDU wanted to keep the DMark and that, as he was personally committed to the single currency himself, he stayed on as Chancellor because he didn't believe his intended successor Wolfgang Schäuble would have gathered enough clout within the party to see the decision through.

Kohl's assertions appear to stand up. Like most people, I was surprised that Germany adopted the euro so readily and, when they did, it looked like Kohl had put his reputation on the line to force a decision through a German public with an obsessive disturst of dodgy money.

It would also appear that Kohl made no public statement on the matter so as not undermine the positions of Schäuble, Merkel and others who came after him. While his ego may be as substantial as his waistline, his behaviour both in office and after in retirement has always been that of a loyal member of the CDU. The fact that the interview became public may have more to do with the completion of the thesis than with anything else.

So what's the problem? If he's confirming what many people suspected, he's adding to our understanding of a major event in recent history.