Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does the advertisement industry pander to female supremacy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why does the advertisement industry pander to female supremacy?

Picture a hypothetical TV advertisement. Two men enter a sitting room where the woman is dutifully hoovering. One man introduces the other to what turns out to be his wife. The second man is there to buy her. He inquires as to her errrmm....attributes and is assured that she is indeed "a goer". They coyly exchange money and the woman, uncomprehending and submissive is led away. The last scene is outside showing the man directing the woman into the boot of the car.

It would never happen as there would uproar at the denigration of women. And yet there is precisely such an ad running on Irish TV at the moment where the gender roles are reversed.

It might be the most eye-catching example but it's hardly alone. How about the "rubbish Dad" who is too stupid to do his own Christmas shopping? When will he ever learn indeed?!

Another one I've seen recently is an animated commercial (when I think of the product I'll mention it here) showing three silhouetted figures running along an obstacle course. Two are obviously male and one is female. Surprise surprise, the woman maintains a clear lead and wins easily. There are loads of others whose product names I can't think of. I'll post the ads here when I think of them and find the footage. Another one I've seen in the last few days is for a snazzy new window cleaning device. The women gets her window cleaned with it very quickly and smiles patronisingly at the man who stands there looking in confusion at his sponge and bucket of suds.

It's no surprise that a man might occasionally be portrayed as the incompetent loser while a woman should sometimes be represented as smart and efficient. It's that in every advertisement where the genders are juxtaposed in this way, the man is always the stupid loser and the woman is always the clever winner. I can't think of one example where the woman are portrayed as being less capable than the man. What's the point? What's in it for the advertisement industry to contrast genders in this way?
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's funny!! Laugh!! Oh and find something to actually worry about.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

take comfort in the fact that you have:
    1. appreciation of sport
    2. higher pay
    3. greater happiness in marriage
    4. one mood, all the time.
    5. no need to wear pads or tampons
    6. look good with beerbelly and thinning hair

lets give them their patronising commericals designed by ad execs to push the predicatable buttons of female purchasers without realising it.

shiptar, have a snickers, you're a right diva when you're hungry.....(comedy gold!)
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    It's funny!! Laugh!! Oh and find something to actually worry about.
    Rather generic post there, Sick.

Assume someone is worried.

Tell them not to be worried.

Intellectual standards on P.ie continue to scrape the stratosphere.
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bring on the Hunky Dory ads!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    Rather generic post there, Sick.

Assume someone is worried.

Tell them not to be worried.

Intellectual standards on P.ie continue to scrape the stratosphere.
    Indeed just look at the OP on this thread. Daily Mail would be proud of ye.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Case for the defence:

I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Case for the defence:
    Nah they're for simpletons who actually think Lynx works. About as effective as lashings of Brut on a spotty teenager!!

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    Nah they're for simpletons who actually think Lynx works. About as effective as lashings of Brut on a spotty teenager!!
    Lynx knows its target market!
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Make the OP gender neutral and we could have a good thread. Ads exploit both genders.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast