Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Monsanto: have you paid your royalties on that tomato?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Monsanto: have you paid your royalties on that tomato?

Monsanto is a dirty word in the eyes of environmentalists the world over. A by-word for corporate greed and manipulation of food growing practises anywhere it can suss out a profit.

It's the Goldman Sachs of the food world.

Today Monsanto owns 'patents' on 36% of all tomato, 32% of all sweet pepper and 49% of all cauliflower varieties registered in the EU. And the list is growing. The aim is corporate ownership of food production.

Once a patent exists in one country, trade agreements and negotiations often push other countries to honour it as well. That's why these food patents change everything about how our food chain works: for thousands of years, farmers could choose which seeds they’d use without worrying about getting sued for violating intellectual property rights. But now, companies launch expensive legal campaigns to buy patents on conventional plants and force farmers to pay exorbitant royalty fees. Monsanto and Co. claim that patents drive innovation -- but in fact they create a corporate monopoly of our food.
    Do your bit for the future of safe and sustainable food production and an end to food production manipulation by a Company that wants to dictate what's grown where and by whom and to profit on the back of both.

Monsanto is the champion of GM foods, but now wants to extend its 'ownership' of ordinary food patents to maximise profits and reduce the choices that growers currently enjoy.

Avaaz - Monsanto vs. Mother Earth
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Dylan2010

it just goes to show that statist law can be an ass. Did the second caveman to build a house owe a royalty to the first? I dont think so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are being very unfair to GS comparing them to those shower
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They aren't the only ones. A member of the Sainsbury family owns a GMO company experimenting with wheat strains.

He isn't involved in an effort to provide cheaper more resistant straints of wheat for bread. He wants to engender a situation where supermarkets will only buy the bread made from wheat on which he owns the patent.

Effectively some people want to charge royalties on food.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    They aren't the only ones. A member of the Sainsbury family owns a GMO company experimenting with wheat strains.

He isn't involved in an effort to provide cheaper more resistant straints of wheat for bread. He wants to engender a situation where supermarkets will only buy the bread made from wheat on which he owns the patent.

Effectively some people want to charge royalties on food.
    Pretty much. And if Monsanto ever implement their terminator seed technology there isn't a farmer in the world who is not in trouble.

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wait. How on earth could they enforce these patents?

Their status in this regard is essentially irrelevent, no?
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post

Do a bit of research on Monsanto.

Fascinating stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sauntersplash View Post

In the US, if pollen from their patented crops spreads onto your farm, even if just carried by wind, they will sue you into the ground. Their patents are valid there and no farmer has the resources to combat it.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Murphy View Post
    In the US, if pollen from their patented crops spreads onto your farm, even if just carried by wind, they will sue you into the ground. Their patents are valid there and no farmer has the resources to combat it.
    I wonder if my petrol bombs fell on their test fields, could I sue them for stealing my petrol? you couldnt make this sh1t up?

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast