Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are the National Lottery balls made in the US?

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why are the National Lottery balls made in the US?

I was watching the news tonight on RTE and the story about the 6 or the 9 ball came up and it was stated that the "error" would cost the National Lottery 54,000 Euro as they are going to pay out on both sets of winning numbers.. Ok, so I don't do the lotto, but congrats to any who are going to benefit from the error..

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consu...draw-1.1355042

But something that I thought was totally disgraceful and was totally just brushed over, as a "by the way" was the fact that the balls used in the show are made in the US.. Yes, the balls are made in the US and then imported into Ireland!!

Seriously, is there no company in Ireland that could be found to manufacture these? I have no idea how many are used on an annual basis, but even if it created 1 job, wouldn't it be better to give it here in Ireland than to give that job to America..
    We're trying to convince the world that "Ireland is open for business" and then we outsource what would seem to be a very simple task (even though they got it wrong).
    What a ridiculous situation? Is this "Contract" tendered for? Are there other examples of jobs that should be kept at home and are being contracted out to external economies?
    Last edited by Marcos the black; 9th April 2013 at 10:40 PM.
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are an awful lot of balls in the U.S. If they kept them there it would be grand, but they do insist on exporting their balls all over the world.
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results: I present, The Irish politcal system: Thank you Einstein

Politics.ie Member Marcos the black's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Owl View Post
    There are an awful lot of balls in the U.S. If they kept them there it would be grand, but they do insist on exporting their balls all over the world.
    But they are making a balls of making the balls.
    You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was amusing at the end, when asking for answers from the lottery re: the balls and graphics errors. The lottery responded by saying the graphics errors were down to RTE and nothing to do with them

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    even if it created 1 job
    Pathetic. No. We have much higher aspirations than that as a nation and we're not about to lower ourselves to that level of desperation. Besides, that's a completely bogus statement. Sure, a war would create more than a few jobs. A miserable attitude.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Irish lotto ball industry is in terminal decline. Surely by buying Irish we would see a 'bounce' in the market?

Ahem.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Because we have no manufacturing industry to speak of anymore. We're totally reliant on outside manufactures for nearly everything used in this country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I believe the whole National Lottery - paper, machines etc, come from the same US company. Do you really want some gobsite in Kerry making the balls, particularly if he got the contract because his uncle was a FF TD? Bertie, or his kids, would have won the lottery every week.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say the Lotto feckers are delighted with themselves. A 4-minute advert during the 9 o'clock news would cost how much?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Creating jobs at home that could be done cheaper abroad is only going to create a situation where the jobs finally leave when it's much cheaper to do it abroad. We ought to be about creating jobs that only we can do. That's called sustainability.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast