Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Car Drivers Kill: Emissions lead to 3,400 deaths per annum

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Car Drivers Kill: Emissions lead to 3,400 deaths per annum

New research just released by An Taisce estimates that poor air quality leads to 3,400 deaths a year and costs the State 6.3 billion. The main offenders?: Drivers of diesel vehicles.

As a daily cycling commuter in Dublin City I am regularly enveloped in a cloud of choking blue smoke. Buses, trucks and older diesel cars being the main, but not only, offenders. Of course the stuff you cannot see is equally as dangerous and this is being spewed out by every vehicle on the road, not least the thousands of modern diesels used by gormless idiots who only drive 50 miles a week to and from work but bought a diesel because it is cheaper to run (note to idiots: only get a diesel if you do the mileage to justify it). This inefficent use of diesel engines increases dangerous emissions. Not that petrol drivers get off scot free, they also contribute hugely to air pollution. Also the whiff of exhaust fumes from a 2 stroke moped is enough to bring a tear to the eye of any cyclist.

If the NCT has done one good thing it has removed some of the worst offenders from the roads as they have failed the emissions tests. It is however a sad fact that there are still a hell of a lot of poorly maintained vehicles out there belching pollutants into our lungs and even the well maintained ones are pollutants to a lesser degree.

I was standing having a cigarette outside a boozer recently when a lady came out and complained that I was too near the doorway. I was not, I was in the fresh air not under any cover in the car park. Said lady then jumped into a 7 seater people carrier, started up, emitted a cloud of blue smoke not seen since the pea soupers of London in the 1930's and drove off. So to those of you who wish to ban smoking in public, and yes you do exist as we have seen in the debates about smoking on hospital campuses. Take your head out of your backside and look at the real killers - car drivers. Passive smoking is completely harmless in comparison. How to tackle these killers? Maybe we should just accept the risk as transport is necessary but tighten up emissions limits?

Article here:
    Poor air quality leads to 3,400 deaths a year in Ireland - Independent.ie
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by b.a. baracus View Post
    New research just released by An Taisce estimates that poor air quality leads to 3,400 deaths a year and costs the State €6.3 billion. The main offenders?: Drivers of diesel vehicles.

As a daily cycling commuter in Dublin City I am regularly enveloped in a cloud of choking blue smoke. Buses, trucks and older diesel cars being the main, but not only, offenders. Of course the stuff you cannot see is equally as dangerous and this is being spewed out by every vehicle on the road, not least the thousands of modern diesels used by gormless idiots who only drive 50 miles a week to and from work but bought a diesel because it is cheaper to run (note to idiots: only get a diesel if you do the mileage to justify it). This inefficent use of diesel engines increases dangerous emissions. Not that petrol drivers get off scot free, they also contribute hugely to air pollution. Also the whiff of exhaust fumes from a 2 stroke moped is enough to bring a tear to the eye of any cyclist.

If the NCT has done one good thing it has removed some of the worst offenders from the roads as they have failed the emissions tests. It is however a sad fact that there are still a hell of a lot of poorly maintained vehicles out there belching pollutants into our lungs and even the well maintained ones are pollutants to a lesser degree.

I was standing having a cigarette outside a boozer recently when a lady came out and complained that I was too near the doorway. I was not, I was in the fresh air not under any cover in the car park. Said lady then jumped into a 7 seater people carrier, started up, emitted a cloud of blue smoke not seen since the pea soupers of London in the 1930's and drove off. So to those of you who wish to ban smoking in public, and yes you do exist as we have seen in the debates about smoking on hospital campuses. Take your head out of your backside and look at the real killers - car drivers. Passive smoking is completely harmless in comparison. How to tackle these killers? Maybe we should just accept the risk as transport is necessary but tighten up emissions limits?

Article here:
    Poor air quality leads to 3,400 deaths a year in Ireland - Independent.ie
    In a perfect world, I would say the solution would be pump more money into a transport infrastructure, get a bus service going efficient enough that less people need cars.

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Murphy View Post
    In a perfect world, I would say the solution would be pump more money into a transport infrastructure, get a bus service going efficient enough that less people need cars.
    Good thinking. The Luas and Dart, if run from electricity obtained from wind turbines or wave power, would be completely non polluting. Ditto with an underground system. Buses are bad offenders at the moment even with the improved diesel technology but one bus can take a large number of cars off the road. Public transport would seem to be the way to go. And encouraging cycling and walking of course.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You had me right up to the point where you told me how you willingly inhale carcinogens and pay money for the privledge. If its any consolation you will probably die from a disease related to cigarette smoking before the pesky car fumes get you. Winning!
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and there i was thinking that, when oil runs out....we'll be reverting to steam powered omnibuses run on burning wood (the renewable resource will be fast growing pine plantations).
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

apparently costs the economy 6.4bn a year

lol

can I have that figure breakdown please?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lets have a look at stats.
    Deaths from Principal causes in the Years 1998 to 2006 - CSO - Central Statistics Office

Number of deaths in 2006 the last stats i can get 28,448.

Number of people who die of smoking related disease 7,000 a year.

Every one dies from something. There is no such thing as a natural death.

Environmental factors will always be an issue just like smoking, bad diet, stress, lack of exercise, alcohol, drugs, Falling in the shower, not to mention every thing else.

What we need to know is the exact amount of premature deaths by each category, but we do not know that.

So saying that 3400 deaths a year are related to emissions is meaning less.

Because for all we know they could be part of the 7,000 smokers who where going to die any way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a makey uppy figure. Many causes of death are attributed to something like pneumonia which might be the final thing but the years of COPD or the massive stroke was the real cause. People die. It's what makes the bit beforehand interesting. We have some of the cleanest air in the western world. We are lucky that way.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's what happens when you dismantle much of the rail infrastructure in the country.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Time is the biggest killer.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast