Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Leftism in vogue in Irish Universities?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Leftism in vogue in Irish Universities?

I've noticed over the last 2 years of being in a Dublin University that there is a large, silent majority of students tending towards conservative ideals, primarily if not exclusively with regard to fiscal policy and acceptance of austerity. The recent referendum on the disaffiliation of UCDSU from the patently left wing USI gives me reason to believe that the majority of students are repelled or at the very least are unconvinced by leftist ideals. What I found strange about the campaign was the lack of right wing rhetoric from ordinary students on the NO side to counter the arguments of the YES side. Which begs the question, has it become socially unacceptable to espouse conservative views on a college campus? As Winston Churchill put it, "the fascists of the future will be the anti-fascists". Has the student left managed to bully the conservative students into silence? With talk from prospective candidates for positions within Students Unions of making the union's official stance on abortion pro-choice going completely unchallenged, one has to wonder to what extent students who disagree with the perceived leftist consensus have the ability or the platform to speak their minds. The way in which student leftism manifests as populism (choosing the high ground, moral or in terms of numbers) and dogma has all the characteristics of bullying, to which today's student ought to be sensitive.

Have any conservative students ever feared it would be socially unacceptable to air their opinions or has anyone at all detected a hostile atmosphere towards dissenting views?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fallacy Police View Post
    I've noticed over the last 2 years of being in a Dublin University that there is a large, silent majority of students tending towards conservative ideals, primarily if not exclusively with regard to fiscal policy and acceptance of austerity. The recent referendum on the disaffiliation of UCDSU from the patently left wing USI gives me reason to believe that the majority of students are repelled or at the very least are unconvinced by leftist ideals. What I found strange about the campaign was the lack of right wing rhetoric from ordinary students on the NO side to counter the arguments of the YES side. Which begs the question, has it become socially unacceptable to espouse conservative views on a college campus? As Winston Churchill put it, "the fascists of the future will be the anti-fascists". Has the student left managed to bully the conservative students into silence? With talk from prospective candidates for positions within Students Unions of making the union's official stance on abortion pro-choice going completely unchallenged, one has to wonder to what extent students who disagree with the perceived leftist consensus have the ability or the platform to speak their minds. The way in which student leftism manifests as populism (choosing the high ground, moral or in terms of numbers) and dogma has all the characteristics of bullying, to which today's student ought to be sensitive.
    You're not studying English are you?

Ramps

Have any conservative students ever feared it would be socially unacceptable to air their opinions or has anyone at all detected a hostile atmosphere towards dissenting views?
    Yes and yes.....though I wasn't conservative; I was a libertar....I mean I was a bug-eyed, nutjob, free-market loon...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heligoland View Post
    You're not studying English are you?
    Why do you ask?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DCU has long-been the most left-leaning university in Dublin and disaffiliated from USI years ago. The view aired by many was that the USI is consistently under the control of FF/FG shills.

Studies have shown that there is a correlation between lower intelligence and conservative and/or racist views. Therefore it is hardly surprising that left wing views would be fare more common in an environment such as a university.

On the issue of abortion however, I have to disagree with your presumption that it is an indicator of political views. I don't think that can be easily defined on a left/right spectrum. Some of the most hardline leftists I know are opposed to abortion while some Fine Gael-y types are in favour of legalising aboriton.
    We won't rest till the guts of the last Fianna Fáiler has been used to strangle the last Blueshirt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I reject Grizzy's equating of conservatism with racism. David Cameron is hardly someone of "low intelligence", and is hardly a racist. As for American academic studies, 72% of US academia is liberal according to research, suggesting a bias.

Liberalism also remains the dominant political ideology in academia, with 72% of full-time faculty identifying as liberal in a 2004 study.[40] The social sciences and humanities were most liberal, whereas business and engineering departments were the least liberal, though even in the business departments, liberals outnumbered conservatives 49% to 39%. Generally, the more educated a person is the more likely he or she is to hold liberal beliefs.[41]
    Also I would opine that the correlation between Leftism and academia/univversity education may be a case of groupthink. During the Cold War there was heavy infiltration of Western universities by the KGB e.g. Cambridge spy scandal. It's possible that this encouraged recruitment of like-minded academics, helping to spawn the present Left-leaning culture.
    Last edited by Dame_Enda; 8th April 2013 at 03:09 AM.
    Save the 27th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    DCU has long-been the most left-leaning university in Dublin and disaffiliated from USI years ago. The view aired by many was that the USI is consistently under the control of FF/FG shills.

Studies have shown that there is a correlation between lower intelligence and conservative and/or racist views. Therefore it is hardly surprising that left wing views would be fare more common in an environment such as a university.

On the issue of abortion however, I have to disagree with your presumption that it is an indicator of political views. I don't think that can be easily defined on a left/right spectrum. Some of the most hardline leftists I know are opposed to abortion while some Fine Gael-y types are in favour of legalising aboriton.
    The abortion thing was merely an example of how a very touchy subject could be demagogued and go unchallenged. "Studies have shown" is not a phrase you should use on a guy named Fallacy Police. Appeal to authority: Rejected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The abortion thing was merely an example of how a very touchy subject could be demagogued and go unchallenged. "Studies have shown" is not a phrase you should use on a guy named Fallacy Police. Appeal to authority: Rejected.
    If you clicked on the link contained in the thread you would see the study which was published in the Psychological Science Journal
    We won't rest till the guts of the last Fianna Fáiler has been used to strangle the last Blueshirt

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Some of the most hardline leftists I know are opposed to abortion.....
    Really?? I've never met one lefty, let alone a hardline lefty, who is opposed to abortion!

We must move in very different circles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps View Post
    Really?? I've never met one lefty, let alone a hardline lefty, who is opposed to abortion!

We must move in very different circles.
    I would not say they are opposed to abortion completely.

Many I know would be supportive of legislation for X but oppose so-called "abortion on demand".

The only person I know who is hard-left and completely opposed to any type of abortion is a former SWP member from north Dublin. He has since emigrated to Russia.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast