Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Is it right for the Sec, General to talk with a third party about the “confidential banking affairs of a CUSTOMER of a State-owned bank"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Is it right for the Sec, General to talk with a third party about the “confidential banking affairs of a CUSTOMER of a State-owned bank"

The opposition are asking that despicable little man Noonan to clarify the Finance Department’s involvement with banks
    Opposition calls on Noonan to clarify Finance Department

The Sunday Time have a very interesting article highlighting that the lawyers for businessman Paddy McKillen have written to the finance minister stating that John Moran and another senior official displayed “inappropriate informality and familiarity” in an email exchange with Richard Faber who works for the not very nice David and Frederick Barclay.

Why should the Secretary General John Moran be offering any assistance at all to the Barclay brothers in relation to their efforts to acquire Mr McKillen’s loans from IBRC?

Is it appropriate behaviour for a civil servant to engage in with a third party? Should it be a hanging offence?

I expect Noonan will need to have some very good answers lined up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The State wants to sell these assets. The DOF and IBRC are part of the state. If the IBRC play hardball and DOF play his friend and we get a better price then it's a good day. A bad day is the IBRC play hardball, the DOF tell them to do one and the customer walks away.

Basically think of any sales environment ever where the salesman tells you "The manager doesn't want to sell to you for X but I'm on your side buddy, let me know what I can do". You're not promising anything there, you're just getting the guy to stay in the room.

The "inappropriate" conversation detailed in print is:

In one email sent on October 28, 2011 – a copy of which has been seen by the Sunday Independent – Mr Moran told Mr Faber that if he felt he was "not making the right progress for whatever reason with the IBRC", his colleagues, Michael Torpey and Danny Buckley, "remain at your disposal (as of course do I if you are unable to reach them)".

Responding to Mr Moran's message that same day, Mr Faber wrote: "Dear John, Thank you for getting back to me, and I am very grateful for your offer of support if required."
    Nothing inappropriate is promised, no offer on either side is made, no hint of reward for any inappropriate actions. What you've got is an adult trying to keep channels of conversation in a business deal open.

There may be other correspondence that IS inappropriate, but if this is the extent of it then there's nothing at all to see.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sure, why not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Secretary General of Departments is essentially a permanent minster. This post should be abolished and its functions transferred to the relevant minister. John Moron seems to be more controversial than Noonan himself. Time to retire him altogether and make the Ministers earn their salary for a change.