Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should "gender balance" be a consideration in An Garda Siochana

Ramps

Default Should "gender balance" be a consideration in An Garda Siochana

One-third of gardai will be women by next year - Independent.ie

Interesting article in today's SI (don't worry; it's not about Sinn Fein!) about a policy that has been pursued in recent years by our police force: increasing the number of female gardai.

According to the article, more than 1/3 of police will be female by the end of the year. This presents problems because (a) gardai who are pregnant (for good reason) are taken off "beat duty", reducing the number of gardai available to police the streets, and (b) female gardai are generally much weaker than men, leaving them and the general public at greater risk in certain situations, for example, in the case of a street brawl. (About a year ago, I saw two female gardai try to arrest a drunk on Parliament St.; it was, frankly, embarrassing, and one of their male colleagues had to intervene to subdue the bowsie.)

I think many people who use this site are in favour of gender quotas, but I wonder do they think that this is one profession, owing to the unique nature of the job, in which policies on "equality" should be disregarded?

No. they are not a good idea.

We should be selecting people to do the job based on their abilities, education, intelligence etc and not based on what is between their legs.

On the one hand we are told that men and women are equal when it comes to any job, then the same people tell us on the other hand that allowances have to be made for the fairer sex.
    ''The tattoo has a profound meaning: the superficiality of modern manís existence.'' - Theodore Dalrymple

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple." - Woody Guthrie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Best people for the job.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Applicants should be accepted based on merit, not whether or not they have ovaries.

Ramps

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy Heneberry View Post
    No. they are not a good idea.
    We should be selecting people to do the job based on their abilities, education, intelligence etc and not based on what is between their legs.
    I agree; but isn't the problem that if police were to be chosen purely on their abilities, the force would be made up almost entirely of men. I'm sure in certain "branches" of the police (in which jobs are taken up after a number of years of "regular" service) sex is not that great a consideration, but it would be very difficult for women to get their foot on the ladder at all were the principle of best man for the job applied.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    Applicants should be accepted based on merit, not whether or not they have ovaries.
    I like it. Positive discrimination. Not your average discrimination based on whether she has a pair of balls.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only if gender equality were achieved amongst law breakers first.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well now the lefty feminist right on crowd have had their way and have got the gender quotas of females into the guards. Maybe I,m wrong but if I am being robbed or my house being burgled I want a strong 5ft 9 upwards guard to come to my rescue and hopefully be able to dish out a bit of medicine if the scumbag criminal resists.
    Its alright having gender equality in the USA when they have Smith and Wesson on their hips to even the score.

And the teaching and nursing professions?

Gender quotas are discriminatory if the application is not universal across all professions.

Retail outlets, Hair salons, morkeshing, TV presenters, health care, education, administration....

you get the idea.
    Fianna Fail - The Anti Democratic Party & The Anti Constitutional Party. Traitors of Irishmen and Irishwomen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    I like it. Positive discrimination. Not your average discrimination based on whether she has a pair of balls.
    Policing is about more than tackling drunken bowsies to the ground and there are a lot of jobs that females would excel at that a male Garda wouldn't be able for - Calming frightened children for instance, sussing up a situation etc.
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast