Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What do people believe the end game to be?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default What do people believe the end game to be?

This site is full of threads and posters with completely diverging opinions and agendas, as you would expect, but the reality is that our deal with the Troika is fast approaching it's end, Euro and global growth is finding it hard to get out of the traps, we're still over-budget on current expenditure and our public sector is (maybe rightly) refusing to bend over and take pay cuts.

Most people, and especially our very blinkered politicians who claim not to have seen this coming, don't seem to be able to look beyond a strategy completely dependent on either the good graces (more lending) or the good fortune (growth) of other nations and we don't seem to have our OWN plan for our OWN situation - we're like a cork bobbing in the current - completely out of our own control and at the mercy of our surroundings.

Is there any example of a country coming back from this level of debt under its own steam, or are we basically heading towards a far more unpleasant future? If so, what do people predict this future will look like? I'm not talking about 2 - 4 years down the road with little skirmishes still occurring in the Dail between pseudo-left and pseudo-right (but all populist) parties taking turns pretending to be in charge, I'm talking about when the piper calls looking for payment.
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well there is my good mood gone for the day!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are correct in your assumption, no country in human history has ever come back from where we are without defaulting, never,

As to the future, I am certain the Europe is going to war,

Id bet my life on that,

It's so obvious,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harshreality View Post
    Well there is my good mood gone for the day!
    Sorry about that, but my experience is that outcomes are far worse if people ignore the reality and make plans and provisions based on hope and optimism...it's the same at work and drive me mad when sales people make forecasts and targets that are unachievable and then spend 9 months of the year making excuses while the rest of the business tries to cut costs.

We (people at large, but particularly our leaders, seem to be ignoring reality and planning based on growth, inflation, recovery as opposed to recognizing that perhaps austerity is the new "normal" and that we need to define new societal norms to accommodate it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    This site is full of threads and posters with completely diverging opinions and agendas, as you would expect, but the reality is that our deal with the Troika is fast approaching it's end, Euro and global growth is finding it hard to get out of the traps, we're still over-budget on current expenditure and our public sector is (maybe rightly) refusing to bend over and take pay cuts.

Most people, and especially our very blinkered politicians who claim not to have seen this coming, don't seem to be able to look beyond a strategy completely dependent on either the good graces (more lending) or the good fortune (growth) of other nations and we don't seem to have our OWN plan for our OWN situation - we're like a cork bobbing in the current - completely out of our own control and at the mercy of our surroundings.

Is there any example of a country coming back from this level of debt under its own steam, or are we basically heading towards a far more unpleasant future? If so, what do people predict this future will look like? I'm not talking about 2 - 4 years down the road with little skirmishes still occurring in the Dail between pseudo-left and pseudo-right (but all populist) parties taking turns pretending to be in charge, I'm talking about when the piper calls looking for payment.
    Our Debt is staggering and still growing

The whole 'Recovery' is based on the economies of other States growing at healthy rates of improvement

- for decades to come...

If that does not happen

- then its curtains for us...

Realistically if we are still part of the EZ then we will need serious Debt renegotiation

- if they cant or wont do it

- then we will DEFAULT

- maybe not today...maybe not tomorrow...but....
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    You are correct in your assumption, no country in human history has ever come back from where we are without defaulting, never,

Id bet my life on that,

It's so obvious,
    I've heard people say that also, but I think our problem isn't nation states having a go at each other, I think we're fundamentally at a cross roads where we have to re-assess the balance between finance and nation. That Europe is tearing itself apart because 1% of the population holds so much government debt that they pretty much own countries....it's not sustainable.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post

All of us, especially our media, should have been asking those questions ten or more years ago when the harm was being done.

Now we are depending on the foreigner to keep the holes in the wall open.

But back then the mantra from the lords and masters and their spin doctors was that whingers should shut up, suck it up or commit suicide.

The same lords and masters and their spin doctors are now complaining about the consequences because the piper [three of them] has already called looking for payment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Plenty of road left of that can.

I suspect we are headed towards 20 years of very low growth and repeating minor recessions. No decisions will be taken to do anything except temporary fixes.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The end-game is the end of the "social safety net".
    We can't afford it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post

Id bet my life on that,

It's so obvious,
    Any particular opponent ?

Always wanted a crack at the Australians.
    I believe that children are the future

Unless we stop them now.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast