Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet Dr Parnia, He brings the dead back to life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Meet Dr Parnia, He brings the dead back to life

Sam Parnia

Dr Sam Parnia has been resurrecting the dead for 20 years. Parnia is head of intensive care at the Stony Brook University Hospital in New York. He has developed new techniques which can bring back people who have been dead for hours.

Sometimes heart attack patients are brought in and are dead. Parnia hooks them up to his machines which pump oxygen into the blood and cool the body to prevent deterioration. The Surgeons operate, fix the cause of death, and then Parnia turns the person back on.

"The longest I know of is a Japanese girl I mention in the book," Parnia says. "She had been dead for more than three hours. And she was resuscitated for six hours. Afterwards, she returned to life perfectly fine and has, I have been told, recently had a baby."
    Parnia argues that the popular concept of what death is, is wrong.

It was a truncated version of this process, at the London Chest Hospital, that allowed the Bolton footballer Fabrice Muamba to be restored to life after he collapsed on the pitch at White Hart Lane last year. Parnia watched the events unfold on TV and subsequently kept on reading that Muamba had been, for up to an hour, "dead" but always in quotation marks. He laughs. "Journalists have invented a new term, 'clinically dead'. I don't know what that term means. But the fact is Muamba was dead. And it was not by a miracle he was brought back to life, it was by science."
    He has some interesting ideas about what happens when you die too. I may buy his book.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In particular, he asks what exactly happens, if you are lying dead before resuscitation, to your individual self and all its attendant character and memories – your "soul", as he is not shy to call it – before it is eventually restored to you a few hours later?
    I wonder is he being provocative here?
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Socratus O' Pericles View Post
    I wonder is he being provocative here?
    Probably - he has a book to sell, after all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Can he do the same for the Irish Economy?
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    Can he do the same for the Irish Economy?
    He's a doctor not a miracle worker.
    Last edited by Goa Tse; 7th April 2013 at 03:51 PM.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goa Tse View Post
    He's a doctor not a miracle worker.
    You should've added a picture of bones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You should've added a picture of bones.
    Duly noted, Jim.
    'I am not gay, although I wish I were, just to piss off homophobes.' - Kurt Cobain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Sam Parnia

Dr Sam Parnia has been resurrecting the dead for 20 years. Parnia is head of intensive care at the Stony Brook University Hospital in New York. He has developed new techniques which can bring back people who have been dead for hours.

Sometimes heart attack patients are brought in and are dead. Parnia hooks them up to his machines which pump oxygen into the blood and cool the body to prevent deterioration. The Surgeons operate, fix the cause of death, and then Parnia turns the person back on.

Parnia argues that the popular concept of what death is, is wrong.

He has some interesting ideas about what happens when you die too. I may buy his book.
    Interesting - it has been pointed out before that death, or (really) the act of dying, (in comparison to gender, sexual intercourse, conception, gestation and childbirth) is much under-investigated scientifically. The link with "psychic" research makes it a no-no.

I hope for his own sake Parnia stays rigorously materialistic, skeptical and analytical. A lapse into metaphysics and credulity will imperil his research in the eyes of many. Lampoons on Penn & Teller, and attacks by James Randi are the least of his worries.

In this case, the acid test will be replication - can other doctors repeat his methods with success.?
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    In this case, the acid test will be replication - can other doctors repeat his methods with success.?
    The article suggests that it is replicated across the world. Dr Parnia is probably at the forefront of this, but he is far from alone, as the case of Fabrice Muamba demonstrates. Muamba was dead - he is now alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Burn the witch
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast