Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 75

Thread: Venezuelan presidential election

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,510
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default Venezuelan presidential election

    It's taking place in just 1 week's time!

    Maduro (Chavez's deputy) has impressed by whole heartedly throwing himself into the electoral process instead of arguing that Chavez's term should have transferred to him. He's standing 10 points clear of the opposition and has obviously learned a lot from Hugo, promising a curse on anyone who doesn't vote for him, alleging a conspiracy of multiple countries to kill him and equating his main opponent (Capriles) with the Spanish invaders from centuries ago.

    Capriles is pretty much stuffed. Unlike previous years, it's not a 2 horse race and the other candidates (there's 5 of them) are taking up around 15 valuable points that he needs. There's no transfers, it's first past the post so unless there are multiple dropouts this week with those candidates throwing their support behind Capriles, next Sunday looks like a forgone conclusion.

    BBC News - Venezuelan candidate Maduro puts curse on rival voters
    ?They want me dead!? Venezuelan president claims US murder plot ? RT News
    Polar opposites: Venezuela votes on its future ? RT News
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  2. #2
    Witch petaljam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Coven
    Posts
    29,816
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

    Default

    Thanks Sync, I don't know enough about the details of the situation to comment, but will be keeping an eye on this thread.
    I'm interested that Chavez' VP didn't try to get power transferred over to him - I think most supposedly democratic politicians in the world would have had a go at that trick.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Rocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    Thanks Sync, I don't know enough about the details of the situation to comment, but will be keeping an eye on this thread.
    I'm interested that Chavez' VP didn't try to get power transferred over to him - I think most supposedly democratic politicians in the world would have had a go at that trick.
    I think he knew there was no need.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,510
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Yeah Chavez had just won a comprehensive victory. That combined with the sympathy factor meant Maduro would always have been a hot favourite. But the fact is he still took the risk, the election will (going on history) by and large be fairly held and he deserves credit for that.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Kevin Doyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dublin South
    Posts
    11,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Yeah Chavez had just won a comprehensive victory. That combined with the sympathy factor meant Maduro would always have been a hot favourite. But the fact is he still took the risk, the election will (going on history) by and large be fairly held and he deserves credit for that.
    I'll reserve judgement until the think tanks in Washington tell me what to think after they have prepped the media accordingly.......or something
    Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.

    George Will

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    Thanks Sync, I don't know enough about the details of the situation to comment, but will be keeping an eye on this thread.
    I'm interested that Chavez' VP didn't try to get power transferred over to him - I think most supposedly democratic politicians in the world would have had a go at that trick.
    Maybe he would have had a go at that if he and Chavez had been sworn in? They were not. So there was No 'Power'.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  7. #7
    GDPR Deleted
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    103,633
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    Thanks Sync, I don't know enough about the details of the situation to comment, but will be keeping an eye on this thread.
    I'm interested that Chavez' VP didn't try to get power transferred over to him - I think most supposedly democratic politicians in the world would have had a go at that trick.
    Well, there is (or was) dispute over whether Venezuela is adhering to its constitution with the run up to these elections. The dispute is over which procedure to follow, both procedures do require that presidential elections be held which is what we are currently seeing. The dispute revolves around whether or not Chavez was inaugurated. If he wasn't then Maduro should not have been become acting president, but the head of the national assembly should have been made acting president. If he was inaugurated then Maduro should have been made acting president. The catch is that in the former situation Maduro would still have been vice president and ineligible to run for office as long as he held that office.

    The relevant articles of the Venezuelan constitution, insofar as I am aware, seem to be: article 229, 231 and 233.

    Either procedure ends in presidential elections though.

    http://www.venezuelaemb.or.kr/englis...rianingles.pdf

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Ren84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Free Europe
    Posts
    49,865
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Spoiler Alert: Maduro wins.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Yeah Chavez had just won a comprehensive victory. That combined with the sympathy factor meant Maduro would always have been a hot favourite. But the fact is he still took the risk, the election will (going on history) by and large be fairly held and he deserves credit for that.
    Deserves credit for not riding roughshod over the Constitution?

    How did the moral West come to such a sorry pass where we praise such things?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It's taking place in just 1 week's time!

    Maduro (Chavez's deputy) has impressed by whole heartedly throwing himself into the electoral process instead of arguing that Chavez's term should have transferred to him. He's standing 10 points clear of the opposition and has obviously learned a lot from Hugo, promising a curse on anyone who doesn't vote for him, alleging a conspiracy of multiple countries to kill him and equating his main opponent (Capriles) with the Spanish invaders from centuries ago.

    Capriles is pretty much stuffed. Unlike previous years, it's not a 2 horse race and the other candidates (there's 5 of them) are taking up around 15 valuable points that he needs. There's no transfers, it's first past the post so unless there are multiple dropouts this week with those candidates throwing their support behind Capriles, next Sunday looks like a forgone conclusion.

    BBC News - Venezuelan candidate Maduro puts curse on rival voters
    ?They want me dead!? Venezuelan president claims US murder plot ? RT News
    Polar opposites: Venezuela votes on its future ? RT News
    What matter, given the level of control of media by the government, and the fact the country was a virtual dictatorship under Chavez you can't really place too much faith in any of that data. The Chavez regime will have the election rigged in any case.

    I really don't know how you are swallowing the regimes propaganda so easily.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •