Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Dónal Walsh - national hero

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Dónal Walsh - national hero

We hear a lot about suicide these days; it seems to be a particular problem amongst young males. One of the most depressing aspects of it is how a cluster can occur in a small geographical area. One person chooses to take their own life and others, perhaps driven by the fuss and attention around the recently departed one, do the same.

See the article below. The young man from County Kerry will probably soon no longer be with us. He's got terminal cancer and in his own words, his death will not be his own choice. In a letter this week, he speaks of his anger at those who take their own lives. While he, in the few months that are left to him, is bravely and unselfishly trying to prepare his family and friends for his death, to leave as little a mess as possible, others in perfect health, throw it all away and commit suicide, leaving unimaginable heartbreak and pain behind them.

He is only 16 yet he is showing maturity and wisdom far beyond his years. I watched his interview last night on the Saturday Night Show and I was nearly in tears at times. There's no doubt in my mind that his words will save lives and cause people who might have been thinking of committing suicide to think again and reflect on the positives in their lives.

In his short life, he has already, in my humble opinion become a true national hero.

Terminally ill 16-year-old takes his anti-suicide campaign to RTE - Independent.ie
    Last edited by Iphonista; 7th April 2013 at 09:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

While suicide is largely a mental health issue and depression needs to be normalised and discussed in public, (rather than a purely selfish act) I applaud his spirit and his benevolence. It would be very easy to curl up in a ball and die, but this guy seems to want to have some legacy.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"I realised that I was fighting for my life for the third time in four years, and this time I have no hope"

Yet still I hear of young people committing suicide and I’m sorry but it makes me feel nothing but anger. I feel angry that these people choose to take their lives, to ruin their families and to leave behind a mess that no one can clean up.

Yet I am here with no choice, trying as best I can to prepare my family and friends for what’s about to come and leave as little a mess as possible.

I know that most of these people could be going through financial despair and have other problems in life, but I am at the depths of despair and believe me there is a long way to go before you get to where I am. For these people, no matter how bad life gets, there are no reasons bad enough to make them do this. If they slept on it or looked for help they could find a solution and they need to think of the consequences of what they are about to do.

So please, as a 16-year-old who has no say in his death sentence, who has no choice in the pain he is about to cause and who would take any chance at even a few more months on this planet: appreciate what you have, know that there are always other options and help is always there.”
    It's an open letter so no issue reprinting it. On an individual level it's incredibly impressive that he's taking some of his limited time remaining to try and improve the outlook for Irish youth. On a general level hopefully this letter will give people pause for thought and encourage them to open up.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    In his short life, he has already, in my humble opinion become a true national hero.
    Could not agree more

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know this lad personally but I am good friends with people who do and also via the rugby playing community. From what's hear he has always been a tremendous person and has borne his troubles with incredible fortitude. A fine young man indeed and whilst its heartbreaking to know the outcome that awaits him it's also an inspiration just to hear him try to make a difference to others.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hero gets used a lot these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by breakingnews View Post
    You mean misused

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by breakingnews View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    You mean misused
    In this case, its usage is entirely correct. Indeed, it doesn't do justice to the young man.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asparagus View Post
    While suicide is largely a mental health issue and depression needs to be normalised and discussed in public, (rather than a purely selfish act) I applaud his spirit and his benevolence. It would be very easy to curl up in a ball and die, but this guy seems to want to have some legacy.
    Discussion of depression and suicidal thoughts should definitely be normalised but not with a view to normalising the act itself, IMHO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Saw him on Brendan O'Connor last night.

Worth a watch on RTÉ Player.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast