Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Charlie Haughey's Vietnam war

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Charlie Haughey's Vietnam war

This Charlie was a rifleman in the US 25th Infantry Division who documented through photographs his involvement in the Vietnam war.

Vietnam was the first war in history to be so widely reported through still and TV images, and it was this visual imagery which led to so many street and campus protests, and eventually America's decision to pull out. It was a costly and humiliating defeat for the US and even more costly for the Vietnamese, many of whom still die every year in land mine and other ordnance explosions and the effects of the defoliant, Agent Orange.

For me, as a kid in the sixties, the war held a strange fascination as I viewed it as a struggle between the proponents of freedom and repression. I collected images from anywhere I could find them: Time magazine, Life, newspapers and books. When the war ended I was fourteen and had thousands of photos in scrapbooks, in boxes and stuck on the bedroom wall.

Time moves on and perspectives change (and I grew up) and now Vietnam is a country I love to visit whenever I can, to mix with a people of unique warmth and humanity.

The debris of war is still there and I've been through the Viet Cong tunnels, visited the museums and spoken to ex-fighters.

There's no bitterness and no recrimination, just a wish to get on and see their country prosper. American tourists are always made to feel welcome and the past has been forgiven, but not forgotten.

BBC News - Return to Vietnam
    Last edited by Hewson; 7th April 2013 at 10:21 AM.
    Abortion is an act of violence. Violence demeans humanity, particularly violence against women and children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good thread title too!
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
    This Charlie was a rifleman in the US 25th Infantry Division who documented through photographs his involvement in the Vietnam war.

Vietnam was the first war in history to be so widely reported through still and TV images, and it was this visual imagery which led to so many street and campus protests, and eventually America's decision to pull out. It was a costly and humiliating defeat for the US and even more costly for the Vietnamese, many of whom still die every year in land mine and other ordnance explosions and the effects of the defoliant, Agent Orange.

For me, as a kid in the sixties, the war held a strange fascination as I viewed it as a struggle between the proponents of freedom and repression. I collected images from anywhere I could find them: Time magazine, Life, newspapers and books. When the war ended I was fourteen and had thousands of photos in scrapbooks, in boxes and stuck on the bedroom wall.

Time moves on and perspectives change (and I grew up) and now Vietnam is a country I love to visit whenever I can, to mix with a people of unique warmth and humanity.

The debris of war is still there and I've been through the Viet Cong tunnels, visited the museums and spoken to ex-fighters.

There's no bitterness and no recrimination, just a wish to get on and see their country prosper. American tourists are always made to feel welcome and the past has been forgiven, but not forgotten.

BBC News - Return to Vietnam
    Odd how this "faraway" war can touch us.

My first year in boarding school (1968), a classmate's brother was killed in Vietnam. He was a Mayo lad who emigrated to the US and joined the First Airborne.

Most of us who later went to college in that generation were fiercely against the war - in 1968 I was politically naive.

It left a permanent scar behind - even today I do not think the Americans have come to terms with the fact that they were intruders. No film has ever achieved popular success showing the Vietnamese point of view. Every film shown in the west about the war has mainly western characters. We need a Vietnamese Battle of Algiers, but will probably never get one.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume