Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaming religion instead of pointing the finger at your own culture

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Blaming religion instead of pointing the finger at your own culture

Many ills in Ireland are attributed to the Catholic church, from the Magdalena laundries, paedophiles, abortion, poverty, etc., . It's my opinion that that blame culture is horse************************ and simply denial: local irish culture is to blame for these, not the church. Half of the Netherlands, half of Germany and half of Switzerland are catholic.

There is some completely messed up thinking that I keep reading here, an anti-church bigotry. The exclusion of prostitutes from the legislative debate is another example; just like Sweden which is trying to run a country based entirely on moral principles instead of actual reality. Why is Ireland doing these things? It is not the church, it is the actual Irish culture that does this.

Everything from abortion rights, suicide, paedophiles, high unemployment, crappy education is all blamed on the church. I am sick of it, because some of the wealthiest and most successful parts of continental europe are predominantly catholic. I am not particularly religious but the denial that so many wallow in to avoid having to actually effect change in society is unbelievable.

That's the end of my rant.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem with your proposal, is that it will result in questions being asked about current sacred cows in Irish society.

Business interests, the corrupt institutional state, quangos, and even union careerists never get any form of introspection. It is all the RCC's fault. Therefore we don't need to spend any time getting upset about the corrupt business culture in this society. And no need to worry about rampant gombeenism in the institutional state.

The bust exposed a massively flawed value system, and it does not have much to do with the RCC. It is far deeper and far more sinister than we are prepared to acknowledge.

We are possibly afraid to come to deal with a sinister, superficial, and irresponsible culture within our own society.

In fact it might be possible to theorise that the sicknesses that we seen in the RCC in the past few decades, might be a result of a deeper malaise within our society.

And that many of the other sicknesses that we see in business, and in the media might be similarly evolved.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 6th April 2013 at 07:23 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't blame the RCC for everything,

Just for the stuff they did,

Like imprisoning, beating, raping and murdering thousands of little kids, and the systematic cover up thereof,

It's ok to hate the church for that, right?

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post
    Many ills in Ireland are attributed to the Catholic church, from the Magdalena laundries, paedophiles, abortion, poverty, etc., . It's my opinion that that blame culture is horse************************ and simply denial: local irish culture is to blame for these, not the church. Half of the Netherlands, half of Germany and half of Switzerland are catholic.

There is some completely messed up thinking that I keep reading here, an anti-church bigotry. The exclusion of prostitutes from the legislative debate is another example; just like Sweden which is trying to run a country based entirely on moral principles instead of actual reality. Why is Ireland doing these things? It is not the church, it is the actual Irish culture that does this.

Everything from abortion rights, suicide, paedophiles, high unemployment, crappy education is all blamed on the church. I am sick of it, because some of the wealthiest and most successful parts of continental europe are predominantly catholic. I am not particularly religious but the denial that so many wallow in to avoid having to actually effect change in society is unbelievable.

That's the end of my rant.
    What is this 'local' or 'actual' Irish culture you're referring to that is to blame? Are you talking about the Gaelic language? Or traditional music? What are you saying?
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    You forgot about Spain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wot if da culture is religious?

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast