Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Labour Party members meet to call for policy changes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Labour Party members meet to call for policy changes

The ante has been upped again, although some of the names would suggest that the usual suspects are involved

More than 60 members of the Labour Party have met in Dublin this morning to pressure the party leadership to implement more Labour policies in Government.
    Paul Dillon, spokesperson for the Campaign for Labour Policies, said the party has to stand up to Fine Gael to tax the wealthy.
    He said the Meath East by-election has sent the party a clear message that Labour should not continue to back austerity measures.

How much longer can Gilmore hold on? There definitely appears to be momentum growing against the current coalition within Labour.

Group of Labour members calls for policy change - RTÉ News

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gilmore is a dead man walking politically ... it is simple as that
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

Labour still have 60 members?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldnt mind the group of 60 - their views are already well known

The fact that people such as Prendergast and Whelan who are hardly of the traditional hard left are openly questioning the direction (and in Prendergasts case the leadership) of the Party is significant.

Also the SINDO reported last week that a Labour Minister of State stated that he had also lost confidence in the leader

Not looking good for Gilmore - word is that he can rely on no more than 3 or 4 backbenchers to publically back him at present

Obviously all ministers will publically back him as their positions would otherwise be untenable

Politics.ie Member Silvio Dante's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do they condone Brendan Howlin intimidating workers who earn less than €400 a week..?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I'm curious as to what Lab think they can do here.

1. They change leader. This leader is further left.

2. This new left leadership pressures FG to do.....something? Increase taxes in order to fund SW and teacher/nurse pay let's say.

3. FG, content in their steady poll position tell them to do one.

4. Lab do........what? Drop out, force a GE and get decimated in the polls? Say they'll go in with FF/SF coalition? Stand on the outside supporting no one?

So what's the play here? They swap the leadership and then what?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post

2. This new left leadership pressures FG to do.....something? Increase taxes in order to fund SW and teacher/nurse pay let's say.

4. Lab do........what? Drop out, force a GE and get decimated in the polls? Say they'll go in with FF/SF coalition? Stand on the outside supporting no one?

Thats how I read it too. Lab has very little room for manoeuvre here. FG don't particularly want an election now, but it would be catastrophic for Labour.

To be honest, there's always been an element in Lab that's more comfortable with opposition, and that rump was always going to be joined by a larger number who would be uncomfortable with governing in a recession. I think a fair amount of the current belly aching is them letting off steam

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah come on Labour members take the fight to Gilmore and demand a general election, They'll be down to less than 20 seats after the next election.

I don't believe they'd get less than 10 seats in a GE as they do have some genuine hardcore support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post

Or stay in government and do nothing, lose most of their councilors in the next local elections and then maybe have less than 2 or 3 TDs come next general election.

They cannot do nothing because if they do nothing they will be gone for good soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devoutcapitalist View Post
    Ah come on Labour members take the fight to Gilmore and demand a general election, They'll be down to less than 20 seats after the next election.

I don't believe they'd get less than 10 seats in a GE as they do have some genuine hardcore support.
    4.5 % will get them next to no seats.

Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast