Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Obama responsible for a courageous journalist remaining in prison on trumped up charges

Dylan2010

Default Obama responsible for a courageous journalist remaining in prison on trumped up charges

ok so its someone I've never heard of before in a country Id be struggling to find on a map but I happened to be reading the article below on the upcoming film Dirty Wars and it appears that on Obama's instructions a Yemeni journalist Abdulelah Haider Shaye is being held prisoner even though he was to be released, his only crime being that he reported that a supposed Yemeni military strike in their country was in fact a US strike. How is it acceptable for the president of a democracy to engage in the tactics of dictators where it appears the Press is only free if it reports what is expected of them?

The message sent by America's invisible victims | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Scahill interviews the still-traumatized survivors of the US cruise missile and cluster bomb attack in Southern Yemen that killed 35 women and children just weeks after Obama was awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. We see the widespread anger in Yemen over the fact that the Yemeni journalist who first exposed US responsibility for that attack, Abdulelah Haider Shaye, was not only arrested by the US puppet regime but, as Scahill first reported, has been kept imprisoned to this very day at the direct insistence of President Obama.

another clip on the journalist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's the real world.
    It's like the Dictators in the likes of the UAE and Bahrain.
    They may be Ruthless Dictators stripping their people of their wealth but atleast they're the wests Dictators

Politics.ie Member seanmoylantd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

God bless your innocence .
    That's what we do . Muslims baaaaaaad . Altogether kids ; Muslims baaaaaaaaad . Muslims baaaaaaaaaad.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How is Obama "responsible" for this? The article makes no mention of it. Why does your title state it as fact and then in the OP you say "it appears"? What link evidence have you seen that Obama has ordered, cajoled or instructed the Yemeni govt to hold him? Like there IS evidence out there to support the position, but your OP's muck.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    How is Obama "responsible" for this? The article makes no mention of it. Why does your title state it as fact and then in the OP you say "it appears"? What link evidence have you seen that Obama has ordered, cajoled or instructed the Yemeni govt to hold him? Like there IS evidence out there to support the position, but your OP's muck.
    the video mentions that it is on White House record that the president made the call to stop the release

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    more info here

Abdulelah Haider Shaye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mprisonment

In January 2011, Shaye was arrested by the Yemeni government. After 34 days of confinement, he was convicted of "terrorism-related charges" in a trial regarded by Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Committee to Protect Journalists, and the International Federation of Journalists as a sham trial and sentenced to 5 years imprisonment.[1][7] After a public outcry from tribal leaders in Yemen over Shaye's imprisonment, Yemeni president Ali Abdullah Saleh was prepared to release Shaye, but he was swayed otherwise by a call from U.S. president Barack Obama on February 2, 2011 citing his "concern" over Shaye's imminent release.[6][8][9]
    Journalist Jeremy Scahill reports that, according to his sources in Yemen, Saleh rescinded his pardon primarily due the call from Obama. Scahill suggests that Yemen's counter-terrorism funding from the United States may have motivated Saleh's cooperation.[10]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most governments would do the same thing in similar circumstances. I don't really think this is an Obama thing, exactly, but a US realpolitik thing.

If - now this is intentionally a bit hyperbolic, but if the Irish decided to hold a journalist hostage, to stop a terrorist attack, would that be wrong?

It's a very grey and unpleasant rainbow of bad decisions in many cases and god knows we all have benefited from other people's discomfort in the past. It's usually for things like cheap electronics, but... You get my point I hope.
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em