Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DNA tests to determine Irish slave link with the Caribbean

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default DNA tests to determine Irish slave link with the Caribbean

Unfortunately this link is behind a paywall but some of you may have come across it on the most recent Sunday Times.

Descendants of Irish slaves shipped by Oliver Cromwell to the Caribbean more than 350 years ago are to have their DNA tested as part of a project aimed at reuniting them with genetic cousins in Ireland.

The Icara project, led by an Irish doctor with an interest in genetic genealogy, will test the Y chromosomes of people on Caribbean islands with Irish ancestry to pinpoint where their forebears came from in Ireland and to attempt to match up relatives.
    DNA tests to determine Irish slave link | The Sunday Times

Notorious mass murderer and slave trader Oliver Cromwell's army rounded up about 50,000 people such as captured soldiers and poor people between 1652-57 and shipped them to Bristol where they were branded with the slave ship that was to take them to Barbados. 20% of them died en route.

Surviving slaves and indentured servants were eventually freed and replaced by Africans, who it was felt would be better slaves as they would be more used to the conditions. Due to religious discrimination in Barbados, most Irish moved to Montserrat which had a 70% Irish population by the late 17th century. It is the only country to this day that has a public holiday on March the 17th apart from Ireland itself.

Though of course we must move on and not stir up ancient hatreds it is not a bad thing sometimes to reflect on the evil so-called religious fanatics like Cromwell are capable of. I seem to remember Eoghan Harris a few years ago praising this odious mass murderer. Shameful.

Incidentally, has anybody actually had their DNA tested for genealogical purposes?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Moloney View Post
    Notorious mass murderer and slave trader Oliver Cromwell's army

Though of course we must move on and not stir up ancient hatreds
    So why start this thread?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post

So why start this thread?
    The Sunday Times is not exactly An Phoblacht is it mate? I suggest you take it up with them. This is an article from a reputable newspapers using things like facts. Your hero was a slave trader. And why exactly have you almost 55,000 posts on an Irish political website when you despise Irish people. That is just plain sad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Sunday Times is not exactly An Phoblacht is it mate? I suggest you take it up with them. This is an article from a reputable newspapers using things like facts. Your hero was a slave trader. And why exactly have you almost 55,000 posts on an Irish political website when you despise Irish people. That is just plain sad.
    Unbelievable,Pmsl.
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately this link is behind a paywall but some of you may have come across it on the most recent Sunday Times.

Notorious mass murderer and slave trader Oliver Cromwell's army rounded up about 50,000 people such as captured soldiers and poor people between 1652-57 and shipped them to Bristol where they were branded with the slave ship that was to take them to Barbados. 20% of them died en route.

Surviving slaves and indentured servants were eventually freed and replaced by Africans, who it was felt would be better slaves as they would be more used to the conditions. Due to religious discrimination in Barbados, most Irish moved to Montserrat which had a 70% Irish population by the late 17th century. It is the only country to this day that has a public holiday on March the 17th apart from Ireland itself.

Though of course we must move on and not stir up ancient hatreds it is not a bad thing sometimes to reflect on the evil so-called religious fanatics like Cromwell are capable of. I seem to remember Eoghan Harris a few years ago praising this odious mass murderer. Shameful.

Incidentally, has anybody actually had their DNA tested for genealogical purposes?
    Wait, I hear the cavalry - "the Irish were treated no differently to the ordinary English of the time", "Cromwell was quite humane", "the British Empire was benign", and "only the Irish would complain about a package holiday in Barbados".......

It's only a matter of a short passage of time, they'll be along soon.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I Will say what I feel as a Scotch-Irish athiest who identifies as European. I nail my colours to the mast on this one and will never apologise for it.

I know a lot of people both north and south will take offence to what I post here, but I will stand by it.

I think this is morally wrong from my point of view.

Those people were deported by Cromwell and treated as less than dirt. They were seen as the lowest rung of slaves and not worth the sh*t someone stepped upon.

Upon independence, if anyone in Irish politics had any decency, they would have made repatriatation of Irish people back to Ireland a prioritity, which it never was. The people forced overseas have always been seen as an embarrassment, which I personally find disgusting. To me they and every other group like them are Irish.

A lot of those people will have been raped by both black and white people. They will have been raised as Irish and not known there genetic history through shame. Telling those people they are not Irish, even though raised speaking an Irish accent would be wrong in my view.

All of those people should be given an Irish passport and invited home to Ireland. We have a lot of ghost estates, so there is no problem housing them.

The out of Ireland and no right to services rule should be destroyed for all Irish people and those who imposed it, banished, never to return. I make no apology for saying that and stand by it.

Upon there arrival, every person living who has served in politics in Ireland regardless of who or what they are, should be made get on there knees and apologise for not bringing them home, upon entering office.

They are Irish.

They have a right to reside in Ireland.

They should be brought home and welcomed upon there arrival with full state honours.

We should teach every Irish child there story.

I believe the same should apply to all the children of Ireland, regardless of catholic, protestent, dissenter, athiest, nutter, fun person, or whatever. We have tens of thousands of empty Irish homes, that are now owned by the state, that can house the homeless and the Irish abroad who wish to come home, regardless of where they were born on, or descended from in Ireland. I implicitly include every person from Northern Ireland in that, even and including particularly if a person is a dyed in the wool loyalist who should be welcomed with open arms, back home and welcomed as family.

Just my opinion. Bring all of them home.

Also I took part in the European wide initial screen for transplant purposes and ended up in a very serious arguement no as one in my family tree had left Ireland and Great Brtain for over 500 years according to my family tree. Literally I am genetically from Bergen and look nothing like someone from Scandinavia, whatsoever. I stick out a lot in Scandinavia. I demanded to see the raw results and analyse them myself. Fortunately my lab skills are well above average and I was able to confirm what they found. I found and still find what they found to be fascinating. The researchers were shocked by my results as they knew I was a mixture of Scottish and Irish and looked it.
    Last edited by Nemesiscorporation; 6th April 2013 at 10:06 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LMAO!! No I haven't and no I won't.
    Its Up to ME

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a bit daft going looking for the Irish in the Carribean when a baby born in Ireland today isn't entitled to an Irish passport as of right. I read recently (but can't now find the link) that using DNA testing to try to make links over 100s of years is little more than 'genetic astrology'. You have to go back only to 3500 BC to find someone who is related to everyone now living on the planet.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Worth a watch:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0QHYFXDGf4Y#

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiscorporation View Post
    I Will say what I feel as a Scotch-Irish athiest who identifies as European. I nail my colours to the mast on this one and will never apologise for it.

I know a lot of people both north and south will take offence to what I post here, but I will stand by it.

I think this is morally wrong from my point of view.

Those people were deported by Cromwell and treated as less than dirt. They were seen as the lowest rung of slaves and not worth the sh*t someone stepped upon.

Upon independence, if anyone in Irish politics had any decency, they would have made repatriatation of Irish people back to Ireland a prioritity, which it never was. The people forced overseas have always been seen as an embarrassment, which I personally find disgusting. To me they and every other group like them are Irish.

A lot of those people will have been raped by both black and white people. They will have been raised as Irish and not known there genetic history through shame. Telling those people they are not Irish, even though raised speaking an Irish accent would be wrong in my view.

All of those people should be given an Irish passport and invited home to Ireland. We have a lot of ghost estates, so there is no problem housing them.

The out of Ireland and no right to services rule should be destroyed for all Irish people and those who imposed it, banished, never to return. I make no apology for saying that and stand by it.

Upon there arrival, every person living who has served in politics in Ireland regardless of who or what they are, should be made get on there knees and apologise for not bringing them home, upon entering office.

They are Irish.

They have a right to reside in Ireland.

They should be brought home and welcomed upon there arrival with full state honours.

We should teach every Irish child there story.

I believe the same should apply to all the children of Ireland, regardless of catholic, protestent, dissenter, athiest, nutter, fun person, or whatever. We have tens of thousands of empty Irish homes, that are now owned by the state, that can house the homeless and the Irish abroad who wish to come home, regardless of where they were born on, or descended from in Ireland. I implicitly include every person from Northern Ireland in that, even and including particularly if a person is a dyed in the wool loyalist who should be welcomed with open arms, back home and welcomed as family.

Just my opinion. Bring all of them home.

Also I took part in the European wide initial screen for transplant purposes and ended up in a very serious arguement as one in my family tree had left Ireland and Great Brtain for over 500 years according to my family tree. Literally I am genetically from Bergen and look nothing like someone from Scandinavia, whatsoever. I stick out a lot in Scandinavia. I demanded to see the raw results and analyse them myself. Fortunately my lab skills are well above average and I was able to confirm what they found. I found and still find what they found to be fascinating. The researchers were shocked by my results as they knew I was a mixture of Scottish and Irish and looked it.
    Very well said. A similar proposal was made by Sean O Callaghan the author of "To hell or Barbados" To Hell or Barbados: The Ethnic Cleansing of Ireland:Amazon:Books

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast