Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Did It All Go Wrong In The Public Sector? Benchmarking And The Programme For Prosperity And Fairness

Default Where Did It All Go Wrong In The Public Sector? Benchmarking And The Programme For Prosperity And Fairness

I think one has to ask where and when did it all go wrong to understand the current labour & pay conflicts in the public sector. Is it fair to cut public sector pay now by more than 20% in 5 years? When did pay and remuneration packages went out of control in the public sector?

I had a quick look at how the events unfolded since 2000. And the ICTU identifies Berties Programme for Prosperity and Fairness (PPF) from 2000 as the cause for Benchmarking. As a direct result of PPF talks the Public Service Benchmarking Body (PSBB) was established in July 2000 and chaired by John Quirke.

But how did the recommendation for a 10% to 15% increase in the public sector in 2002 did go so badly wrond and end up in an actual 50% increase by 2008? Where did it all go wrong? Did the unions push to hard? Did FF buy elections with the promise for even further increased pay package in the public sector? Who increased the salaries in the public sector? Politicians, public servants or some helping hands of private bankers?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    I think one has to ask where and when did it all go wrong to understand the current labour & pay conflicts in the public sector. Is it fair to cut public sector pay now by more than 20% in 5 years? When did pay and remuneration packages went out of control in the public sector?

I had a quick look at how the events unfolded since 2000. And the ICTU identifies Berties Programme for Prosperity and Fairness (PPF) from 2000 as the cause for Benchmarking. As a direct result of PPF talks the Public Service Benchmarking Body (PSBB) was established in July 2000 and chaired by John Quirke.

But how did the recommendation for a 10% to 15% increase in the public sector in 2002 did go so badly wrond and end up in an actual 50% increase by 2008? Where did it all go wrong? Did the unions push to hard? Did FF buy elections with the promise for even further increased pay package in the public sector? Who increased the salaries in the public sector? Politicians, public servants or some helping hands of private bankers?
    Fairness has nothing to do with it! It is all about having a public service we can afford, as well as paying welfare benefits we can afford!

Quote Originally Posted by IbrahaimMohamad View Post
    Fairness has nothing to do with it! It is all about having a public service we can afford, as well as paying welfare benefits we can afford!
    we had a public service we could afford, but an orgy of greed took possession of decision makers in the public sector sometime after 2002. I'd like to know when exactly this happened. Did it coincide with the establishment of the Review Body on Higher Remuneration in the Public Sector and the appointment of the former Anglo Irish Bank Chairman as the chief adviser on government on pay in 2004?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike View Post
    we had a public service we could afford, but an orgy of greed took possession of decision makers in the public sector sometime after 2002. I'd like to know when exactly this happened. Did it coincide with the establishment of the Review Body on Higher Remuneration in the Public Sector and the appointment of former a Anglo Irish Bank Chairman as the chief adviser on government on pay in 2004?
    Why not go back to having a Public Sector we can afford?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just one answer: Bertie & FF. Those PS leeches think others should go without just to look after them, or else we just continue borrowing for their sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    Just one answer: Bertie & FF.
    McCreevy inflating the life out of the economy, and FF failing to curb the property price madness. Wages chased that.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Quote Originally Posted by IbrahaimMohamad View Post
    Why not go back to having a Public Sector we can afford?
    ever tried to take the loot back from an operator?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

n 1978, PAYE accounted for 87 per cent of all income tax revenue. In the 1979 budget, the Fianna Fáil government imposed a special 2 per cent levy on farm produce, which was supposed to offset some of the unequal demand on the PAYE sector workers. The Irish Farmers Association launched a series of protests and the government removed the levy. When this was announced, several spontaneous protests took place, culminating in a call for strike action.

The ICTU leaders, no more militant then than they are now, refused to get involved in a strike, but they did support a proposal by the ITGWU to have a demonstration outside working hours. On 11 March, 50,000 people marched through Dublin, most of them calling for a general strike. The ICTU continued to oppose any strike action so the Dublin Trades' Council was called on to organise a stoppage on 20 March.

An estimated 150,000 or more people marched through Dublin on 20 March and other protests took place in thirty towns throughout the country, including a march by 40,000 workers in Cork. The march wasn't due to leave Parnell Square until 2.30 p.m. but had to start at 2.00 p.m. because the surrounding area was so clogged up with thousands of workers. At one point the march stretched up O'Connell Street, D'Olier Street, College Green, Dawson Street, St. Stephen's Green, Merrion Row, Upper Merrion Street, Lincoln Place, Westland Row, Pearse Street, Westmoreland Street and back to O'Connell Street, with as many as twenty to thirty abreast on most streets. Mai Clifford, the DCTU's first woman president, led the march, from which Congress leaders were conspicuously absent.
    he Irish bank strikes between 1966 and 1976 were three strikes of about a year's total duration which closed down all the clearing banks in the Republic of Ireland. The strikes provided economists a unique opportunity to study the functioning of a modern economy without access to bank deposits.[1]

The strikes affected all the associated banks which comprise of the Bank of Ireland, the Allied Irish Banks, the Northern Bank and the Ulster Bank. The strikes lasted from:
    May 7 – July 30 1966
    May 1 – November 17, 1970
    June 28 – September 6, 1976

The longest strike was of six months in 1970.
    pOst office strike 1979 too. Partner ship as designed to ease industrial action.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_b...966–1976
    The choice is yours...fear or love.
    Anhtony Kane.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    McCreevy inflating the life out of the economy, and FF failing to curb the property price madness. Wages chased that.
    I'd broadly agree with that, but it'd be useful to know the precise mechanisms by which the PS-pay share of that disaster occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I'd broadly agree with that -- though I'd still like to know the precise mechanism by which it occurred.
    exactly we had a good plan in 2002 for further sensible pay increases but it turned into a complete free-for-all bonanza in the public sector in the following years.

Last edited by YouKnowWhatIMeanLike; 5th April 2013 at 12:48 PM.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast