Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Roger Ebert, 1942-2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Roger Ebert, 1942-2013

Roger Ebert has died. He took a “leave of presence” earlier this week to focus his energies on fighting his resurgent illness.

Wonderful writer; a great humanist voice. Those who are unfamiliar with his work might enjoy reading his blog: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/

The New Yorker has an appreciation here: Postscript: Roger Ebert, 1942-2013 : The New Yorker

Background information can be found here: Roger Ebert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's well worth reading.
    Last edited by Cirio; 5th April 2013 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Fixed link
    It's toasted.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Thanks for starting this thread.

I saw earlier that he had passed away, only days after announcing that his cancer had returned.

I remember the infamous "two thumbs up" that he and Gene Siskel used to give. It ended up common parlance in movie advertising, "Siskel and Ebert give it two thumbs up". After Siskel passed away in the late 90s, Ebert teamed up with Richard Roeper, but it was never the same.

Roger Ebert fought a long and brave battle with his cancer that left him severely disabled and disfigured but he never quit and even though his voice was gone, his ability to critique a film was as good as ever.

He was definitely one of the best at his task.

RIP

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I had heard this on the radio on the drive home from work earlier. The announcer had the gall to say that he practically invented the "thumbs up".

Ancient Rome, anyone?
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KongMing View Post
    I had heard this on the radio on the drive home from work earlier. The announcer had the gall to say that he practically invented the "thumbs up".

Ancient Rome, anyone?
    I remember reading the thumbs up thingy related to the gladiators got botched up by a 18th (?) century painting. Originally the thumb down was to mean "lower your weapons, let him live" while thumb up was "raise your weapon and kill him!", I'm told.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)