Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Disability recipients surged 37.7% since 2006

Politics.ie Member Eric Cartman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Disability recipients surged 37.7% since 2006

Mystery of massive rise in those quitting workforce on disability - Independent.ie

Thoughtful article by McWilliams on disability figures.

OVER the past few years an extraordinary development has occurred in Ireland, which has gone broadly unnoticed. Tens of thousands of people have left the labour force due to disability. This has occurred despite the fact that the workforce, in general, has become younger and healthier on most measures and despite the fact that there have been significant positive steps towards reducing discrimination against disabled people in the workforce.
    Yet, since 2006, there has been a 37.7pc increase in the number of people who have left the labour force citing a condition that substantially limits one or more basic physical activities.

This is not people who have been unfortunate enough to be born with a disability, but people who have developed a disabling condition. This means 55,000 people – bigger than Waterford, the country's fifth largest city. Between 2002 and 2006, the same figure only increased by 1pc which is less than 2,000 people.

So what has happened from 2006 to 2012 to cause 53,000 extra people to leave the labour force due to physical disability?

Meanwhile, the number of people leaving the labour force citing a psychological or emotional condition has risen even more dramatically – 88,000 people are now diagnosed with an emotional or psychological condition that is bad enough that they can't work. This is a 27,000 rise from the same figure in 2006.
    The same phenomenon is noted in the UK.

Panorama: The Great Disability Scam (clip)

Similar in the US.

Clearly there has been a massive increase in the number of people taking advantage of government disability benefits in Western countries that mirror the rise in unemployment. It's time to more critically assess these cases. Naturally, someone will post how they injured themselves and now receive disability after years of gainful employment, but wish to work. Indeed. But there are many cases that are fake ("I injured my back! I can't work!") and a large proportion are so-called psychological/emotional. I don't think that we can afford this anymore, let's tackle this issue. I would rather fakes exposed than cuts to carers' allowances i.e. lets dump the "bad backs" and "emotionally distressed" etc. and maintain (even, raise?) the benefits in genuine cases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's a thread around here somewhere slagging off civil servants saying they're not letting people go onto social protection schemes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

can we just go back to poorhouses, orphanages and aristocratic ladies looking after the needy.

radical?

but just think over the next century we could go through the whole revolution and foundation of the welfare state all over again.

we'd do it right this time... honest.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Politics.ie Member APettigrew92's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Back in my parents day, you either worked or you lived on the streets. This whole "My back" culture is preposterous, considering advances in modern medicine, labour laws and general all-round health.

This is one of those drawbacks of a social saftey net. For every genuine case, you have two or three whinos who would rather milk the State than contribute like their Fathers would have.
    Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro - Latin Proverb

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lets face it the logical conclusion of this particular 'feeler' is that euthanasia would be the 'kindest' option for the useless disabled particularly mental health, unless of course you are disabled wherein you might have a different opinion.
    The choice is yours...fear or love.
    Anhtony Kane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When you have a system that deems that night blindness is so debilitating that it precludes the possibility of someone being able to work for a living, even during daylight, why is anyone surprised?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Like i said kill them off in if you dont like them.It's the preferred conclusion after a recession/depression. It's a feeler to check tolerance for this type of solution.
    oops what happens if your child gets sick though in this scenario?
    Anhtony Kane.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Offshore secrets | UK news | The Guardian
    Offshore secrets revealed: the shadowy side of a booming industry
    A worldwide research effort in collaboration with the Guardian/ICIJ reveals the real people behind these anonymous companies
    Anhtony Kane.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    Lets face it the logical conclusion of this particular 'feeler' is that euthanasia would be the 'kindest' option for the useless disabled particularly mental health, unless of course you are disabled wherein you might have a different opinion.
    Well surely the most logical conclusion is that inclusion in the workforce is the most obvious option for those on disability. At the moment I believe that there is an option to work a certain amount of hours per week for therapeutic purposes with regard to some disabilities. There is a culture of inclusion in society and the workforce for those with disabilities from birth (both intellectual and physical), so why should we in some cases facilitate a complete opt out for those who only have a disability which precludes them from working in a particular field. All disabilities are inhibiting, but if we offer an opt out policy based just on your criteria to full-fill your previous role, it's a bit silly, don't you think?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast