Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Accounting, Chemistry, Economics & Physics are being dropped by schools to accommodate education cuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Accounting, Chemistry, Economics & Physics are being dropped by schools to accommodate education cuts

ASTI: Schools losing teachers, dropping subjects, despite increased student numbers

The ASTI are reporting (in the above link) that important minority subjects - Accounting, Chemistry, Economics & Physics - are being dropped by second level schools as cuts in education impinge on the availability of subject choice to parents and students.

Additionally almost a third of Principals are teaching classes and 60% of Deputy Principals.

70% of schools have reduced services for career guidance.

What impact will this have on the future of education in Ireland?

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    ASTI: Schools losing teachers, dropping subjects, despite increased student numbers

The ASTI are reporting (in the above link) that important minority subjects - Accounting, Chemistry, Economics & Physics - are being dropped by second level schools as cuts in education impinge on the availability of subject choice to parents and students.

Additionally almost a third of Principals are teaching classes and 60% of Deputy Principals.

So we've not only saddled the next generations with our debt, but we're also reducing their ability to pay it off.

Surely we should be encouraging chemistry, given that we have a significant pharmaceutical sector?

I know you're a teacher, and I've no intention of fighting your battles for you, but education is not something that needs to in a reduced or hobbled supply now or any other time.

The last couple of generations partied and the next few will pay the price. The very least we can do is to equip them with the tools that will allow them to clean up after us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why the wages and pensions bill needs to come down, this is what happens when too much focus is on cutting services. Reilly and Quinn are two of many that have been saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by sport02 View Post
    Why the wages bill needs to come down, this is what happens when too much focus is on cutting services. Reilly and Quinn are two of many that have been saying this.
    Or, this is why some taxes need to go up - to help pay for services. Two-sided coin.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post

I'm guessing that Irish still gets four classes a week through to sixth year though, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why the wages and pensions bill needs to come down, this is what happens when too much focus is on cutting services. Reilly and Quinn are two of many that have been saying this.
    yeah Reilly and Quinn really should take a severe paycut. Leadership you know.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why the wages bill needs to come down, this is what happens when too much focus is on cutting services. Reilly and Quinn are two of many that have been saying this.
    If you want to keep these subjects you have to change the PTR and hire more teachers. If you cut wages to fund those new appointments you end up with the same total wage bill. So if you want more teachers and a reduced wage bill you have to cut deeply. Will that attract quality candidates? Any employer will answer that for you.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac View Post
    I'm guessing that Irish still gets four classes a week through to sixth year though, right?
    Four? How things have changed. It was eight in my time. Maybe it was because it has Higher Level. What I do remember was that the course load took up a disproportionate amount of time in revision and homework.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Even if Irish was optional, it would still be more costly to run certain subjects (such as engineering, materials technology, chemistry and biology) in comparison.
    "Only by applying the most rigorous standards do we pay writing in Irish the supreme compliment of taking it seriously." - Breandán Ó Doibhlín.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Five classes in my school up until 3rd year and 6 p/week in 5th and 6th year. I was told in my school that I only had a very limited chance of being able to keep on the subjects I wanted. Physics, accounting, chemistry ect. would never be a combination option. Talk of accounting being cut altogether. Its really unfortunate.

And for the record, this country could probably do with some fresh Accountants and Economists...

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast