Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Contentious Parades

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Contentious Parades

The Parades Commission is to ask the organisers of a republican commemoration in north Belfast about a video of a gunman firing shots.
    BBC News - Parades Commission to seek republican parade response

Speaking to UTV on Tuesday, the Republican Network for Unity (RNU), who organised the event alongside the Henry Joy McCracken Republican Flute Band, remained unrepentant about the children's involvement.
    DUP meets watchdog over child parades - UTV Live News

We have plenty of threads/comments on PUL parades, i accept that certain symbolism can mean different things to various sections of our society, but surely masked gunmen are unacceptable to all decent law abiding citizens...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The parade at Ardoyne wasn't "contentious" as no one locally would have objected.
    Masked gunmen firing shots is another thread altogether.
    If you want to get into that territory, try finding the response from Unionists when the then deputy lord mayor attended a UDA parade, complete with masked men on parade and gunmen and one woman firing shots on the stage where he was sitting.
    here's a hint:BBC News | NORTHERN IRELAND | Deputy mayor avoids censure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vivabrigada View Post
    The parade at Ardoyne wasn't "contentious" as no one locally would have objected.
    Maybe Opinion has changed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by physicist View Post
    Maybe Opinion has changed.
    I was in Ardoyne yesterday, didn't notice anything different.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Masked gunmen firing shots is another thread altogether.
    If you want to get into that territory, try finding the response from Unionists when the then deputy lord mayor attended a UDA parade, complete with masked men on parade and gunmen and one woman firing shots on the stage where he was sitting.
    here's a hint:BBC News | NORTHERN IRELAND | Deputy mayor avoids censure
    Come on bud it was all part of the parade. Have you any opinion on the matter. We here in the NI section must be the masters of whataboutery. I swear no group of people have it mastered to such a fine art.

I think the OP is reasonable and if you choose to engage at least engage it with a valid response or ignore it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Orange parades are a blight on society and Republicans initiating their buffoonery are an embarrassment. The worst must be these otiose flute bands, which have as much musical or cultural merit as nails scratching against a blackboard and which certain Republican groups copy with abandon.

Firing off shots rounds off a thoroughly disgraceful spectacle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longmarch View Post
    Come on bud it was all part of the parade. Have you any opinion on the matter. We here in the NI section must be the masters of whataboutery. I swear no group of people have it mastered to such a fine art.

I think the OP is reasonable and if you choose to engage at least engage it with a valid response or ignore it.
    Yes I do have an opinion. The parade was to commemorate four local members of Na Fianna Éireann who lost their lives. I don't see how that would be contentious as it was confined to their native Ardoyne. I would tell the gunman to put away his gun for good but I don't think he'd listen to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    i accept that certain symbolism can mean different things to various sections of our society, but surely masked gunmen are unacceptable to all decent law abiding citizens...
    I think its actually illegal?

Politics.ie Member
    Brighton where men are men and you can always get a fabulous haircut:)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

parades in your own area one thing
    being abusive when walking past catholic churches something else.
    masks and guns always unacceptable.
    whineing about republicans when yourside plays the same stupid game worthless rather than priceless.
    have you met a loyalist Suggesting they really should become part of a united ireland would be like suggesting a space marine has sweaty man sex with an an Orc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes I do have an opinion. The parade was to commemorate four local members of Na Fianna Éireann who lost their lives. I don't see how that would be contentious as it was confined to their native Ardoyne. I would tell the gunman to put away his gun for good but I don't think he'd listen to me.
    I've never heard of that grouping so excuse my ignorance. We just assume if you stick to an area of our own sort that it won't be contentious. Nobody really asks residents for an opinion.

I have many neighbours who hate the band parades around my way but no one asks them. They just grim and bear it and nobody has ever asked them if they are happy with it. They are Unionist which must mean they love the bands. It's rather bull sh1t when you think of it.

I treat the incident in Ardoyne much like I deal with incidents that originate in my own community. I don't get too bothered by it because I truly believe its just the case of the noisy minority huffing and puffing.

I certainly don't see it as a means to ridicule or mock because sometime somewhere we will of done or will do something the same.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast