Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 billion potential Earth-like planets in Milky Way Galaxy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 100 billion potential Earth-like planets in Milky Way Galaxy

Scientists at New Zealand's University of Auckland have estimated the number of Earth-like planet's in our galaxy alone to be around 100 billion, which means that their could be 1 Earth-like planet for ever 2 stars in the Milky Way (around 200 billion stars in total).

There could be 100 billion Earth-like planets say astronomers - Telegraph

They have based their estimates on observations by the Kepler Space Observatory. More than 800 exoplanets have been discovered so far, mainly from observing dips in the light of the star as the planets pass in front of them or from wobbles in the stars position (due to the gravitational influence of orbiting planets). This number is rising rapidly, and as more observatories are planned to be launched in coming years (such as the James Webb Space Telescope), the likelihood of observing smaller planets (which may be Earth-like in size) will increase as the sensitivity improves.

Considering the sheer number of planets like our own that could potentially be found within our own galaxy, I think it would be exceedingly unlikely that ours would be the only one to harbour intelligent life, let alone life itself. Your thoughts?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Throughout the history of science, every single time that the Earth has been thought to be in any way special or different, it's been rammed home pretty conclusively that it's not. Of course there is other life out there; there's no reason whatsoever for there not to be and that should be enough to convice anyone. It's only a matter of time until hard evidence appears.
    If they come to ethnically cleanse me, Will you speak out? Will you defend me?
    Freedom of expression doesn't make it alright, Trampled underfoot by the rise of the right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drogheda445 View Post
    Scientists at New Zealand's University of Auckland have estimated the number of Earth-like planet's in our galaxy alone to be around 100 billion, which means that their could be 1 Earth-like planet for ever 2 stars in the Milky Way (around 200 billion stars in total).

There could be 100 billion Earth-like planets say astronomers - Telegraph

They have based their estimates on observations by the Kepler Space Observatory. More than 800 exoplanets have been discovered so far, mainly from observing dips in the light of the star as the planets pass in front of them or from wobbles in the stars position (due to the gravitational influence of orbiting planets). This number is rising rapidly, and as more observatories are planned to be launched in coming years (such as the James Webb Space Telescope), the likelihood of observing smaller planets (which may be Earth-like in size) will increase as the sensitivity improves.

Considering the sheer number of planets like our own that could potentially be found within our own galaxy, I think it would be exceedingly unlikely that ours would be the only one to harbour intelligent life, let alone life itself. Your thoughts?
    The 13 year old is at it again
    Follow the money in this country and it ALWAYS goes back to state support, be it tax breaks, state contracts and the manipulation of markets for the gombeen class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greykettle View Post
    "Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
    only the second option is scary in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Life out there deffo!
    Sentient life maybe?
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

Quote Originally Posted by westernyelp View Post
    only the second option is scary in my opinion.
    Neither are scary in my opinion. Although both are of interest.
    Redacted.

Dylan2010

the age of the galaxy has to be taken into account, a million years is a galactic "blink" , so societies may have come and gone or might only make an appearance in 50 million years time. then if no faster than light travel is possible then there can be no meaningful communication.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197 View Post
    Neither are scary in my opinion. Although both are of interest.
    I don't know, the thoughts of another FG fills me with dread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Communication isn't necessary; just confirmation that other life exists is enough.

In order to prove that other life doesn't exist, you have to check every planet around every star in every galaxy in the entire universe. In order to prove that other life does exist you just have to find it once. One can only ever be a matter of faith, the other is a matter of science.

The ancients thought that the sun was special, somehow different to other stars. Then it was discovered that the sun was just another typical star. Then people thought that a star having planets was special. Guess what happened there? Now we're finding planets everywhere, Earth-like planets everywhere, evidence of water everywhere.

It's clear that the processes that made our little corner of the universe are not in any way special; it's clear that they're actually quite typical. Why should the processes that made us not be the same?
    If they come to ethnically cleanse me, Will you speak out? Will you defend me?
    Freedom of expression doesn't make it alright, Trampled underfoot by the rise of the right

Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast