Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: Eye for an Eye: Saudi man (24) to be surgically paralyzed

Politics.ie Member Eric Cartman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Eye for an Eye: Saudi man (24) to be surgically paralyzed

Saudi court said to order criminal to be surgically paralysed - Middle East News | Latest News Headlines | The Irish Times - Thu, Apr 04, 2013

Amnesty International has condemned a reported Saudi Arabian court ruling that a young man should be paralysed as punishment for a crime he committed 10 years ago which resulted in the victim being confined to a wheelchair.
    The London-based human rights group said Ali al-Khawaher (24) was reported to have spent 10 years in jail waiting to be paralysed surgically unless his family pays one million Saudi riyals (€207,850) to the victim.
    The Saudi Gazette newspaper reported last week that Khawaher had stabbed a childhood friend in the spine during a dispute a decade ago, paralysing him from the waist down.
    Saudi Arabia applies Islamic sharia law, which allows eye-for-an-eye punishment for crimes but allows victims to pardon convicts in exchange for so-called blood money.
    My thoughts are with that young Italian student, who came to Ireland several years ago and was attacked by some utter scumbag in Dublin 3 I believe, leaving him severely brain damaged. I think stoving that Dublin bloke's head in with a lead pipe would've probably prevented more crime. Naturally, I do not believe that the Government would've borne the cost of his care.

/MOD/ There's a thread on this here: http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign...alyse-boy.html /MOD/

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry Eric, there's already a thread on this.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign...alyse-boy.html