Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary Robinson - who cares?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mary Robinson - who cares?

If you want an interesting insight into the complete waste of space/time/money the Irish Presidency really is, and the kind of mentality you need to want it/get it you could do worse than listen to some of these.

Mary Robinson, talking to John Bowman Wednesday 3 April 2013 - Mary Robinson, talking to John Bowman - RTÉ RTÉ Radio 1

My wife subjected me to 30 mins of the one last night and I found it truly appalling to listen as a self-obsessed, self-serving lady explained how an un-electable academic Senator, failed TD candidate could make it to the token office of the President and begin the inexorable journey to increased allowances, salary, pension while using it to get herself into the UN because Ireland just wasn't enough.

I was never a fan, but after listening to this for 30 mins I'm better informed and more convinced than ever that we should abandon the presidency AND the Seanad and have a very hard look at the kind of people we elect to represent "us".
    The more things change....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    If you want an interesting insight into the complete waste of space/time/money the Irish Presidency really is, and the kind of mentality you need to want it/get it you could do worse than listen to some of these.

Mary Robinson, talking to John Bowman Wednesday 3 April 2013 - Mary Robinson, talking to John Bowman - RTÉ RTÉ Radio 1

My wife subjected me to 30 mins of the one last night and I found it truly appalling to listen as a self-obsessed, self-serving lady explained how an un-electable academic Senator, failed TD candidate could make it to the token office of the President and begin the inexorable journey to increased allowances, salary, pension while using it to get herself into the UN because Ireland just wasn't enough.

I was never a fan, but after listening to this for 30 mins I'm better informed and more convinced than ever that we should abandon the presidency AND the Seanad and have a very hard look at the kind of people we elect to represent "us".
    Sshhhhh! The Cappuccino liberal heads will explode if they read anything mildly critical about Saint Mary Robinson.

Dylan2010

One Mary Robinson >100 rubbish working class people , get over it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Sshhhhh! The Cappuccino liberal heads will explode if they read anything mildly critical about Saint Mary Robinson.
    She described herself as a left leaning liberal at one stage....in Ireland that means making a very good living freely spending other peoples' money on your own pet projects.

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Exactly, us plebs always need one of our betters to tell us what to do and more importantly how and what to think and Mary's your woman for that.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One element of the interview that stuck out for me was how close everyone at the top seems to be - there was loads of references to very good friends in the judiciary, in the bar, across the media, and JPB was positively gushing about her during the interview.

She was lecturing and mentoring Brian Lenihan Jr while cutting the legs off his father in the election, but showed far more affinity for the peers than for the people who were and still are paying her way.

During the interview she admits to asking for and getting a significant increase to her "allowance" so she could be the president she wanted to be, not be the president the country could afford, and I think this where the rot set in that somehow the presidency is somehow an important (and in Ireland that means EXPENSIVE) role.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

During the interview she admits to asking for and getting a significant increase to her "allowance" so she could be the president she wanted to be, not be the president the country could afford,

And there I was thinking that the role of a our President was a matter for Constitutional determination, not personal career aspirations.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
    And there I was thinking that the role of a our President was a matter for Constitutional determination, not personal career aspirations.
    But Im sure she "feels" strongly she was doing the "right" thing, so thats all that counts, right? she has such a sense of the world, how can you question it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Infamously in 1991 Mary Robinson was wearing a canary yellow suit and was inspecting the Presidential guard when a soldier remarked "Here comes Big Bird." The cheeky soldier was harshly disciplined.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She got elected as President, did she not?

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast