Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71

Thread: Culture Fan? Sadly, you've read your last Culture Novel.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    10,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Culture Fan? Sadly, you've read your last Culture Novel.

    Perhaps it is a sign of my own progressing age, but these stories seem to come at ever increasing frequency. I read today with surprise and regret that one of my favourite authors (who's book I happen to be reading currently) has stage 4 cancer. Iain M Banks, Scotsman, ornery marxist and creator of "The Culture" series of books has written his last. I despised Sci Fi before I read his work. His work encouraged me to try a few more Sci Fi authors but none have come close to Banks' works. They're (no exaggeration) astoundingly brilliant. The world, a "post scarcity" world The Culture exists in is not only an endlessly fascinating place to explore, but it provides a very fertile from which to imagine how a far distant human future might take place. I know I will miss it.

    Any other fans? Stand outs for me would be Excession. Consider Phlebas. Look to Windward. Use of Weapons. Player of Games. Against a dark Background.

    I was a fan of Iain Banks too, but they never tugged at the 'awe' factor they way M does.

    Best of luck Mr Banks and thanks for sharing your amazing imagination with us so far.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    16,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Heard this earlier, sad news. A world with no more Banks or Pratchett books is going to be a lot less colourful.

    I think Look To Windward is possibly my favourite of the Culture series, though they are all good. Player of Games, Use of Weapons, Surface Detail are other favourites. Excession is mostly great but could do without the whole Dajeil/Genar-Hofoen/Ulver Seich sub-plot, though Genar-Hofoen's interactions with the Affront are hilarious, those bits can stay

    I even enjoyed Matter though a lot of fans dislike it for some reason.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member theloner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Posts
    9,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    As an aside, Hitchens, a favourite of mine who lost his battle with cancer last year said of the cancer sticks and the many vices that make and break the truly lasting, great writers.

    'There have been moments of reverie, wreathed in smoke and alone with a book, and moments of conversation, perfumed with ashtrays and cocktails and decent company, which I would not have exchanged for a year of ordinary existence'.

    Is the smoking ban a good idea? | Society | The Guardian

    Note: I think Banks has cancer of the gall-bladder, which wasn't due to any vices.
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21,912
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I read The Hydrogen Sonata recently and the opening scene is one that I thought of when I heard about Banks' announcement. There is a conference on his work due in about 5 months in London which would be around the time he is expecting to leave the building as it were... awkward for the organisers but I think it is going to be organised to account for both possibilities- him being alive or having died.

    Awkward one.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    I read The Hydrogen Sonata recently and the opening scene is one that I thought of when I heard about Banks' announcement. There is a conference on his work due in about 5 months in London which would be around the time he is expecting to leave the building as it were... awkward for the organisers but I think it is going to be organised to account for both possibilities- him being alive or having died.

    Awkward one.
    Will you be attending?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21,912
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammylee View Post
    Will you be attending?
    Probably.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LamportsEdge View Post
    Probably.
    I'll see you there.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member jpc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    In Cork like
    Posts
    4,337
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    Heard this earlier, sad news. A world with no more Banks or Pratchett books is going to be a lot less colourful.

    I think Look To Windward is possibly my favourite of the Culture series, though they are all good. Player of Games, Use of Weapons, Surface Detail are other favourites. Excession is mostly great but could do without the whole Dajeil/Genar-Hofoen/Ulver Seich sub-plot, though Genar-Hofoen's interactions with the Affront are hilarious, those bits can stay

    I even enjoyed Matter though a lot of fans dislike it for some reason.
    Thought Matter was really good.
    Working through The Hydrogen Sonata at the moment.
    That is a depressing thought as now its the end of the line for a brilliant series of novels from a cracking imagination.
    He is a Mind as they say in the books with a capital M.
    Its only a chat, we ain't the world council.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21,912
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpc View Post
    Thought Matter was really good.
    Working through The Hydrogen Sonata at the moment.
    That is a depressing thought as now its the end of the line for a brilliant series of novels from a cracking imagination.
    He is a Mind as they say in the books with a capital M.
    Weird the way he is able as a writer to straddle the literary novel and the genre novel at the same time. I can't think of many writers who can do that.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Telemachus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    A Dirac Sea
    Posts
    6,570
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Some Interesting Books, the Idiran-Culture war was an interesting commentary on the struggle between Liberalism and Islam, In Banks Universe the "Liberals" ie The Culture win by installing a machine ruler on the Idirans version of Mecca.
    ..the Irish nation can become other than white, by privileging the voices of the racialised and subverting state immigration but also integration policies. Ronit Lentin

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •