Follow @PoliticsIE

View Poll Results: What social class do you fall into?

Voters
347. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Elite

76 21.90%
  • Established Middle Class

76 21.90%
  • Technical Middle Class

52 14.99%
  • New Affluent Worker

30 8.65%
  • Emergent Service Worker

33 9.51%
  • Traditional Working Class

61 17.58%
  • Precariat

19 5.48%
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What class are you?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default What class are you?

The BBC have spent time running a survey of over 150,000 people in order to identify new classes and set them out by percentage in 2013. They've come up with 7 new classes of people after declaring that only 39% of people fit into the traditional 3 classes with most overlapping, necessitating the new ones.

BBC News - Huge survey reveals seven social classes in UK

Elite - the most privileged group in the UK, distinct from the other six classes through its wealth. This group has the highest levels of all three capitals

Established middle class - the second wealthiest, scoring highly on all three capitals. The largest and most gregarious group, scoring second highest for cultural capital

Technical middle class - a small, distinctive new class group which is prosperous but scores low for social and cultural capital. Distinguished by its social isolation and cultural apathy

New affluent workers - a young class group which is socially and culturally active, with middling levels of economic c
    capital

Traditional working class - scores low on all forms of capital, but is not completely deprived. Its members have reasonably high house values, explained by this group having the oldest average age at 66

Emergent service workers - a new, young, urban group which is relatively poor but has high social and cultural capital
    Precariat, or precarious proletariat - the poorest, most deprived class, scoring low for social and cultural Capital
    And they've a calculator! There's little there that's UK exclusive, so there's no reason to think it wouldn't translate here. Where do you fit in? Do you think the classifications are valid?

BBC News - The Great British class calculator: What class are you?

I'm asking if we can stick in a poll, fwiw I got EMC
    Last edited by Sync; 3rd April 2013 at 07:20 PM.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

New affluent worker apparently. It's true that I did come from working class roots though
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Precariat

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Elite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

EMC , wow I've made it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Landed gentry.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It told me that I'm whatever 'precariat' means - I'm really not (though there were times I was as a kid) - it did this because I am renting (in London!!!) and because I socialize with people who are working class as well as middle class. This is utter nonsense.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I support a dictatorship of the proletariat class as can be clearly seen by my username

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    It told me that I'm whatever 'precariat' means - I'm really not (though there were times I was as a kid) - it did this because I am renting (in London!!!) and because I socialize with people who are working class as well as middle class. This is utter nonsense.
    Someone just can't handle the truth.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Flawed poll. Anyone who has to actually work for a living is actually working class.
    The other two classes in Ireland, that don't have to work for living, are the welfare class, and the golden circle.
    Marketing companies would like you to pretend you're middle class so you will buy their rubbish.
    The golden circle would also like most of you to continue pretending you're middle class, and therefore delude yourselves that somehow you must be above protesting on the streets against their corruption, and like good docile workers, will willingly continue to accept their control over you instead.
    Last edited by Zerubbabel; 3rd April 2013 at 07:31 PM.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast