Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why doesnt the La Mon bombing stick in the memory like other massacres?

Dylan2010

Default Why doesnt the La Mon bombing stick in the memory like other massacres?

I happened to to catch the end of Reeling in the years (1978) and they did a piece on this bombing. And while I would have been to young to remember it from the news at the time, it doesnt appear to have lodged in the memory like Dublin/Monaghan, Warren Point,Shankhill. I could honestly say I have never heard about it before. One could hardly describe it as mundane and it looks like it could have easily killed more people.

La Mon restaurant bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That evening the two main adjoining function rooms, the Peacock Room and Gransha Room, were packed with people of all ages attending dinner dances. Including the hotel guests and staff, there was a total of 450 people inside the building.[3] The diners had just finished their first course when the bomb detonated, shattering the window outside of which it was attached and vaporizing the canisters. The explosion created an instantaneous and devastating fireball of blazing petrol, 40 feet high and 60 feet wide, which engulfed the Peacock Room.[8] Twelve people were killed (seven of whom were women), having been virtually burnt alive,[5][9] and a further 30 were injured, many of them critically. Some of the wounded lost limbs, but for the most part received severe burns. One badly burnt survivor described the inferno inside the restaurant as "like a scene from hell", whilst another who lost her daughter Elizabeth and son-in-law, Ian McCracken, said the blast was "like the sun had exploded in front of my eyes".[8] There was further pandemonium after the lights had gone out and choking black smoke filled the room. The survivors, with their hair and clothing on fire, rushed to escape the burning room. It took firemen almost two hours to put out the blaze.[

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Think about who keeps these things alive and you might get an idea...

This wouldn't be an operation the IRA/SF'ers would wish to celebrate too much... not when the warnings were late which resulted in the murder and mayhem that ensued...

It was obviously a bit of an operational f*** up... so probably best not to dwell on it too much...

Better to dwell on other atrocities etc...

Politics.ie Member b.a. baracus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post

This wouldn't be an operation the IRA/SF'ers would wish to celebrate too much... not when the warnings were late which resulted in the murder and mayhem that ensued...

It was obviously a bit of an operational f*** up... so probably best not to dwell on it too much...

Enniskillen, a similar event from the SF/IRA standpoint i.e. one which they would prefer not to talk about is very very regularly mentioned. As is Jean McConville every 2nd minute on here and elsewhere so I think the old conspiracy theories can be put to bed there. Le Mon is hardly unknown but it does not attract the same attention, why I do not know but it has nothing to do with SF trying to hush it up.
    I ain't gettin' on no plane

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner Island View Post

You really think that Sinn Fein have that much influence?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They never stop going on about it on p.ie

Politics.ie Member TiredOfBeingTired's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One reason is privacy.

La Mon is on 10 acres of private grounds.
    Omagh, Enniskillen, Frizzells on Shankill Road, Dublin & Monaghan were all in public locations which can be revisited at any time.

The hotel may well have a policy on not commenting on the bombing.

Another reason is publicity.
    The IRA won't raise the issue too often.
    The UK state and local authorities are keeping quiet too.
    "SURVIVORS of the La Mon atrocity have said they feel deeply hurt that Castlereagh Borough Council has no plans to mark the 35th anniversary of the bombing.
    Mr McDowell said he feels let down by the Historical Enquiries Team and also by the Government.“If it wasn’t for Ulster Human Rights Watch, we’d be completely on our own – we’re not like the Finucane Centre,” he said."
    “They burnt us alive, yet it’s forgotten about” La Mon survivor - Headlines - Belfast Newsletter
    Sometimes there is very little between historical and hysterical. One passes for the other. In time, the former remains forever, the latter is quickly replaced...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just have a read of this book:

For most of the Troubles the killings were monotonously routine.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The La Mon bombing was particularly horrific because of the use of petrol. But in a way, the thread title is misleading - plenty of people do remember it, same as they remember the bombing of the Abercorn restaurant.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post
    They never stop going on about it on p.ie

Indeed we don't. A napalm attack on a meeting of the local Collie club can have that effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trampas View Post
    Indeed we don't. A napalm attack on a meeting of the local Collie club can have that effect.
    Indeed. The whole thread is invalid.

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast