Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Derby arson murders

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Derby arson murders

Horrific case and hard to avoid in any media.

I was also struck by the fact that one of the children murdered is wearing a Dublin GAA jersey in the photograph of the family.

Derby fire: Mick Philpott, guilty of killing his children, tried to murder previous girlfriend - Telegraph

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    Horrific case and hard to avoid in any media. Even with it all I am still not quite certain why they decided to kill the children? Was any reason given?

I was also struck by the fact that one of the children murdered is wearing a Dublin GAA jersey in the photograph of the family.

Derby fire: Mick Philpott, guilty of killing his children, tried to murder previous girlfriend - Telegraph
    some of the children had different mothers,i think,so possibly one of them was irish

horrific case,the judge who convicted him when he was a 21yr old was right,he said of him "he was a dangerous young man"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BookFace View Post
    some of the children had different mothers,i think,so possibly one of them was irish

horrific case,the judge who convicted him when he was a 21yr old was right,he said of him "he was a dangerous young man"

Hadn't seen the other thread on this.

Seems he was trying to create impression that his former partner was the one who had tried to set fire to the house. Even though he didn't want to actually kill them he was not particularly remorseful.

Amazing how much harm one piece of scum like that can do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think the other thread is more around a general principle of disclosure as opposed to this specific case.

Sky News have interviews with a couple of the guys who attempted to rescue the kids. They're obviously tough guys who grew up in a poor area, but their interview's incredibly moving and "real".
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hadn't seen the other thread on this.

Seems he was trying to create impression that his former partner was the one who had tried to set fire to the house. Even though he didn't want to actually kill them he was not particularly remorseful.

Amazing how much harm one piece of scum like that can do.
    His only regret is that he was caught

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    His only regret is that he was caught

But even apart from that he seems totally incapable of any sort of empathy with any of the many people he has harmed over his life. Allegedly 'lower animals' have more of a moral and social sense than creatures like Philpott. Totally useless life that created no good, only bad.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Horrific case and hard to avoid in any media.

Noticed that too. The wife's name is Mairead. So, there must be some connection. I can't imagine people here jumping up to claim it though. The kids look so innocent in that photo and by all accounts were great kids in spite of the situation they lived in. Terrible case.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not the sort of relationship you would be facebooking right enough!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now that the trial is over, Philpots record has now been released,

Did 7 years for stabbing a previous girlfriend 17 times and beating up her mother,

Nice human being this guy,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The story of his interaction with the police after the fire is almost impossible to believe, it sounds so callous. While I've no doubt that the man is pure trash and is guilty, he is such a classic comic book caricature, that you wouldn't know which parts of the story are true really.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast