Really you couldnt make something like this up. I was listening to the radio this morning, not sure which station but I think it was RTE Radio 1.
Anyway the gist of the discussion underway was that kids have a tendency to pick up the little packets of washing detergent and put them in their mouths. Now apparently if they break them and this gets in the eyes its causes soreness for a number of weeks. And if they eat it a trip to the hospital for monitoring and presumably stomach pumping is required.
The discussion went on wondering why companies were not forced to do something about this, and how because it was only an irritant they weren't obliged to by law.
Now to me the simple solution would be if irresponsible and stupid parents locked the detergent away so the kids couldn't eat it or put it in their eyes in the first instance. Lets face it there are always going to be lots of things around a house that are dangerous for kids to get near, why on earth should the strength of washing detergent be reduced because of irresponsible parents?
Note to Mods I have placed this in culture and community because I feel that the discussion here is one on people shifting blame for everything onto someone else as opposed to accepting responsibility and planning normal risk avoidance themselves. This is becoming more and more culturally prevalent.