Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids eating washing powder – parents blaming the manufacturers/supermarkets!

Default Kids eating washing powder – parents blaming the manufacturers/supermarkets!

Really you couldn’t make something like this up. I was listening to the radio this morning, not sure which station but I think it was RTE Radio 1.

Anyway the gist of the discussion underway was that kids have a tendency to pick up the little packets of washing detergent and put them in their mouths. Now apparently if they break them and this gets in the eyes its causes soreness for a number of weeks. And if they eat it a trip to the hospital for monitoring and presumably stomach pumping is required.

The discussion went on wondering why companies were not forced to do something about this, and how because it was only an irritant they weren't obliged to by law.

Now to me the simple solution would be if irresponsible and stupid parents locked the detergent away so the kids couldn't eat it or put it in their eyes in the first instance. Let’s face it there are always going to be lots of things around a house that are dangerous for kids to get near, why on earth should the strength of washing detergent be reduced because of irresponsible parents?

Note to Mods I have placed this in culture and community because I feel that the discussion here is one on people shifting blame for everything onto someone else as opposed to accepting responsibility and planning normal risk avoidance themselves. This is becoming more and more culturally prevalent.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do as the Americans would and put a label saying "This is not a foodstuff for human consumption" on it. Its on everything from soap to cars over there. if we were a smarter society we'd have done it ages ago but instead we get a whitewash of the issue.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd have to agree. The whole Health and Safety thing has gone haywire.
    There's quite a large gap between two of my children and the H&S advice for the younger of them was way OTT.
    We are responsible for our children.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    Really you couldn’t make something like this up. I was listening to the radio this morning, not sure which station but I think it was RTE Radio 1.

Anyway the gist of the discussion underway was that kids have a tendency to pick up the little packets of washing detergent and put them in their mouths. Now apparently if they break them and this gets in the eyes its causes soreness for a number of weeks. And if they eat it a trip to the hospital for monitoring and presumably stomach pumping is required.

The discussion went on wondering why companies were not forced to do something about this, and how because it was only an irritant they weren't obliged to by law.

Now to me the simple solution would be if irresponsible and stupid parents locked the detergent away so the kids couldn't eat it or put it in their eyes in the first instance. Let’s face it there are always going to be lots of things around a house that are dangerous for kids to get near, why on earth should the strength of washing detergent be reduced because of irresponsible parents?

Note to Mods I have placed this in culture and community because I feel that the discussion here is one on people shifting blame for everything onto someone else as opposed to accepting responsibility and planning normal risk avoidance themselves. This is becoming more and more culturally prevalent.
    I missed most of this but I thought the problem was the soluble balls (oo-er) of liquid detergent. The onus on the manufacturer is to supply packaging that suits the product. If the product represents a danger to children - particularly if small children could mistake it for a drink or similar - then the packaging must be child resistant.

I agree that parents should be responsible for trying to ensure that all hazardous products are kept out of reach, but this does not absolve the manufacturer to provide acceptable packaging. The plastic boxes they come in should therefore be provided with some Child Resistant feature.
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Dylan2010

There was a thread on boards yesterday where the numpty was asking could he use the dishwasher salt instead of table salt. The Darwin award is still up for grabs apparently.

to your point there are any number of fluids that would kill a kid in a house, anyone that would blame a manufacture have probably being drinking the Lemon flavored Flash because it smells nice.

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    Do as the Americans would and put a label saying "This is not a foodstuff for human consumption" on it. Its on everything from soap to cars over there. if we were a smarter society we'd have done it ages ago but instead we get a whitewash of the issue.
    Its already labelled, what the people on the radio show were looking for was a change in the ingredients.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Party Patriot View Post
    Its already labelled, what the people on the radio show were looking for was a change in the ingredients.
    Ahh, ok. Well that won't work unless someone invents edible washing powder.
    Сохранить Украины

I thought everything in America was edible?

Anyhow, this serious issue will have to be flushed out. No whitewash, but if course we mustn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This what you get with a nanny state , some one else must always be blamed. Stupid labelling now on take out coffee and tea warning product is hot, egg Cartons with a warning that it contains egg and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Malbekh View Post
    I missed most of this but I thought the problem was the soluble balls (oo-er) of liquid detergent. The onus on the manufacturer is to supply packaging that suits the product. If the product represents a danger to children - particularly if small children could mistake it for a drink or similar - then the packaging must be child resistant.

I agree that parents should be responsible for trying to ensure that all hazardous products are kept out of reach, but this does not absolve the manufacturer to provide acceptable packaging. The plastic boxes they come in should therefore be provided with some Child Resistant feature.
    That kind of packaging for a box of detergent would be too costly and would make it unviable as a product. Increasing the strength of the plastic on the capsules would mean they would take longer to dissolve and no be in sync with the washing cycle of most machines.

I really think the responsibility for this should lie firmly with the parents to lock this kind of stuff away when not in use.
    Last edited by Tea Party Patriot; 3rd April 2013 at 12:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast