Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Petition asking Iain Duncan Smith to prove that he can live on 53 per week exceeds 250K in 24 hours......and rising.

Johnny Boy

Default Petition asking Iain Duncan Smith to prove that he can live on 53 per week exceeds 250K in 24 hours......and rising.

Iain Duncan Smith calls petition urging him to live on 53 a week a stunt | Politics | guardian.co.uk
    A petition, signed by more than 250,000 people so far and rising rapidly, was started after Duncan Smith said he could get by on that amount after being challenged by a market trader during a BBC Radio 4 Today programme item on the government's changes to the welfare system.

The online petition, hosted at www.change.org, says: "This petition calls on Iain Duncan Smith to live on this budget for at least one year. This would help realise the Conservative Party's current mantra that 'We are all in this together'.
    Tories and their big mouths are never far from landing in thir own excrement, it seems. Duncan Smith has dismissed the petition as a stunt........maybe, but a very embarrassing one for his party. This is just another nail in Cameron's coffin, politically speaking, in my view, and one wonders how long the coalition can hold together.

Those wishing to join the fun can do so, here:

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...e-on-53-a-week

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

An utterly utterly stupid thing to say.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Edwina Currie tries to better him.....@oconnellhugh: Ha RT @nicholasfrost: Former Tory MP Edwina Currie says SHE could live on 53 a week. Asked her to talk to @5_News about it, she wanted 500

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Edwina Currie tries to better him.....@oconnellhugh: Ha RT @nicholasfrost: Former Tory MP Edwina Currie says SHE could live on 53 a week. Asked her to talk to @5_News about it, she wanted 500
    Just as the Tories try to pretend this is not an issue, along comes "Salmonella Sally" to stir it up again. You couldn't script Edwina better if you were Ed Miliband's chief speech-writer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

IDS should get on his bike...
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would love to see Big Fill try this one proposal for size.

Fond of his expensive jaunts is our Phil.

We cannot point the finger at Ian Duncan Smith. He is cheap compared to some of the Irish poliicos.

In fact, IDS probably gets paid less to work, than either Ditherer or McUseless get paid to "retire" and do nothing, after a career in the pblic trough, wasting the people's money.

The institutional state in Ireland is rotten.

Is there a petition against our expensive wasters ? Nope. Unlike the Brits, Ireland takes abuse.
    Last edited by Analyzer; 2nd April 2013 at 11:49 PM.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Edwina Currie tries to better him.....@oconnellhugh: Ha RT @nicholfrost: Former Tory MP Edwina Currie says SHE could live on 53 a week. Asked her to talk to @5_News about it, she wanted 500
    I seem to remember Michael Portillo living on benefit for a week. Of course, doing it for a week, followed by a television crew is easy. Try doing it year after year, bringing up a family. Those tory toffs are a laugh a minute, they haven't a clue what ordinary people go through. It still amazes me that anyone on average wages or below would ever vote for them.

Johnny Boy

Quote Originally Posted by ffc View Post
    I seem to remember Michael Portillo living on benefit for a week. Of course, doing it for a week, followed by a television crew is easy. Try doing it year after year, bringing up a family. Those tory toffs are a laugh a minute, they haven't a clue what ordinary people go through. It still amazes me that anyone on average wages or below would ever vote for them.
    Another wet-behind-the-ears Tory MP, Matthew Parris, tried it in 1984, an received a salutory lesson.

Gareth McLean: poverty as entertainment on TV | Media | The Guardian

The incredible thing is that Duncan Smith has learned absolutely nothing from any of these highly publicised past efforts by party colleagues.

Ironically it is this sort of high-handed arrogance that cost Andrew Mitchell his job in the Plebgate scandal, apparently totally wrongly, because his alleged offence is now frequently seen, even within their own ranks, as perfectly plausible behaviour for Tories to indulge in. That is in itself quite remarkable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Turns out the dude who issued the challenge was telling porkie pies

IDS challenged to live on 53 a week by man who gets 156 - Telegraph
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

250,000 signatures isn't a lot to get for a populist petition in the UK. It is the equivilent of about 25,000 signatures in Ireland or what would elect 3 TDs.

I often think people put far too much stock in petitions, have a look at Pen and Teller getting idiots to sign one to ban water:

"If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast