Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IRFU announce they will not be continuing Declan Kidney's contract. Begone!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default IRFU announce they will not be continuing Declan Kidney's contract. Begone!!

Just hitting the wires now, what must be the most widely flagged/anticipated firing in yonks. More to follow.

It' hardly surprising given that the team has been on a downward spiral, performance wise, with the very odd exceptional match, ie australia, since winning the grand slam. He has, in the eyes of most, been far to loyal to old comrades at the expense of growing a younger and future performing team.

Hopefully someone with a bit of vision can be found to replace him and someone in whom the team will have full confidence.

EDIT; It appears that though his contract runs to the 30th of June, this year, his coaching term is ending today with Less Kiss, Gurt Smal and Anthony Foley bringing the team on the US tour in June.
    Last edited by corelli; 2nd April 2013 at 05:08 PM.
    "......... we must sometimes listen to those who, consumed with zeal, have scant judgment or balance. To such ones the modern world is nothing but betrayal and ruin.........We feel bound to disagree with these prophets of doom who are forever forecasting calamity -- as though the world's end were imminent."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think its a mistake.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this is a big mistake.

And the same crew of hypocrites calling for Kidney to go are the same people who were crowing back in 2008: "Get rid of O'Sullivan, give us that genius Kidney!"

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He gave us a Grand Slam and that match against Austrlaia, but it's time to move on.

In my time in sport I've seen tthat coaches - with the very rarest of exceptions - have a shelf-life.

Their strategies and tactics begin to be picked off by the oppo, and the players grow a little stale.

i say be grateful for his efforts and let everyone move on.

A new coach may also have the freedom to pick a better captain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

totally agree with des quirrell.....he's no alex ferguson.

our defense during the 6n was a disaster, and given that the defense is a sign of the team morale....

as for our attacking play....bereft of any imagination or creativity. they were, unfortunately, found wanting.

which is a real pity as the provinces (all 4 of them) appear to have better spirit and look more dynamic than the national team. thats not a fault of the players, but of the management.

the new coach needs to freshen up the entire coaching staff and bring in people not tied to provincial loyalties.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In fairness some of his big decisions of late have been bizarre. Making Heaslip captain over BOD I think being the chief one. Heaslip's penalty calls on the pitch cost us the Scotland game and the momentum to a possible championship and Grand Slam!

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A setback to believers in an expensive circus if ever there was one.

Get a wealthy tax non-dom with a "history" to fund a new boss - green jersey superficiality is cheaper than paying PAYE at the marginal rate.

Wanted - a new expert in pass the peanut.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe1 View Post
    totally agree with des quirrell.....he's no alex ferguson.

our defense during the 6n was a disaster, and given that the defense is a sign of the team morale....

as for our attacking play....bereft of any imagination or creativity. they were, unfortunately, found wanting.

which is a real pity as the provinces (all 4 of them) appear to have better spirit and look more dynamic than the national team. thats not a fault of the players, but of the management.

the new coach needs to freshen up the entire coaching staff and bring in people not tied to provincial loyalties.
    Fair easier to coach at club level than it is at international level.
    And I'd apply that across codes such as rugby and soccer.
    For instance a coach/manager has more direct involvement with the plays on a day to day basis, and he can build a team to reflect his view and ethos.

At international level level there are a whole series of factors that make the job far harder.
    Politics.ie moderators should moderate instead.
    Welcome to Political Irish | Political Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    A setback to believers in an expensive circus if ever there was one.

Get a wealthy tax non-dom with a "history" to fund a new boss - green jersey superficiality is cheaper than paying PAYE at the marginal rate.

Wanted - a new expert in pass the peanut.
    would you ever quit the "cryptic" wink wink obscure references and post what you want to say in plain english?
    does ireland need a DOB to fund a manager of international standing?
    no as rugby pay levels are several multitudes smaller than soccer and there should be more than enough money in the IRFU coffers to pay for a contract.
    this is because rugby has a higher attendance in ireland than soccer. due in part to the fact that the irish provinces are more successful than irish soccer team, due in part to the fact that there are only 4 professional teams and the opposition are of a higher standard for both club/province and annual internationals.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure it should all be down to Kidney who in fairness brought reasonable success to the job. If I have one big criticism it would be that we always seemed to be behind the loop tactically and the team seemed to lack a plan B when needed. One example would be the 2nd test against NZ last summer , a good performance based on Ireland competing in the breakdown area , problem was that come the third test NZ had already decided they were not going to play that way again ie: play the support and offload game . Ireland on the other hand tried the same again approach , now check scoreline ! Another is the WC against Wales , completely out thought again tactically.
    A good man who deserves credit but the whole coaching team and indeed the way the game is coached at junior level upwards needs to be re-approached.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast