Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we have 166 TD representing us?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why do we have 166 TD representing us?

The United Kingdom has 650 Members of Parliament for a population 63 million or so. One UK MP represents approx 100,000 citizens. The Republic of Irelands Dáil Éireann has 166 for a population of 4.5 million. 1 Irish TD represents approx 30,000 citizens. This has probably been thrashed out on P.ie before and if so feel free to ignore. What I would like to know is why we have so many TDs compared to the UKs MPs?

My math may be a bit rough but I just rounded things off. Feel free to correct or sneer

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bunreacht na hEireann might answer your question?

Art 16.2, even?
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Boggle

We don't.

We have 166 TD's but they mostly represent their parties, not us.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Astral Peaks View Post
    Bunreacht na hEireann might answer your question?

Art 16.2, even?
    Maybe I should have posted question as why are we over represented compared to the UK?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The UK has vastly more power devolved to regional and local authorities, and the number of MPs reflects this.

After our local government reform we will have about 950 local representatives - that's 1 for every 4,200 people approx.

The UK has 43,000 local representatives - that's 1 for every 1,500 people.

The UK has far more local representation, with local councils being infinitely more powerful than Irish local authorities (eg. in the areas of taxation, education, etc) which makes comparison between numbers in the Dail and numbers in the Commons virtually worthless.

I'm all for reducing the size of the Dail - but only once we have significantly more powerful local government, and a greater number of councillors.

(All the above is debated at length in an episode of Yes, Minister - the one with the bolshie local Cllr)

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    We don't.

We have 166 TD's but they mostly represent their parties, not us.
    Arrrgggg - you beat me to it.

TDs represent themselves and a core group that they believe to be fundamental to their re-election and enrichment during or after their "career" in public service (giggles at irony).

The more time I spend actually listening to TD and what they say the more I realise that they have very limited interest in "us" but have an unhealthy obsession with the processes and protocols of government, the "system" and of "debating the issues".

I would imagine if you asked each of the 166 TDs what their job actually is you would come up with 166 different answers, and if you asked TDs who they represent they would fill the spectrum from single issue candidates to gobsh1tes who want to change the world, but very, very few will actually land on the answer "all the people of Ireland".
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post
    The UK has vastly more power devolved to regional and local authorities, and the number of MPs reflects this.

After our local government reform we will have about 950 local representatives - that's 1 for every 4,200 people approx.

The UK has far more local representation, with local councils being infinitely more powerful than Irish local authorities (eg. in the areas of taxation, education, etc) which makes comparison between numbers in the Dail and numbers in the Commons virtually worthless.

I'm all for reducing the size of the Dail - but only once we have significantly more powerful local government, and a greater number of councillors.
    Are you seriously saying that it takes over 1000 elected representatives to govern this oversized rock?

Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    The United Kingdom has 650 Members of Parliament for a population 63 million or so. One UK MP represents approx 100,000 citizens. The Republic of Irelands Dáil Éireann has 166 for a population of 4.5 million. 1 Irish TD represents approx 30,000 citizens. This has probably been thrashed out on P.ie before and if so feel free to ignore. What I would like to know is why we have so many TDs compared to the UKs MPs?

My math may be a bit rough but I just rounded things off. Feel free to correct or sneer
    One issue is that the government has to be chosen from among the TDs (and typically, from a subset consisting of half of the TDs). You can only shrink the pool of available talent so much before you start running into pretty serious problems finding people qualified to run the country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tubbs View Post

(All the above is debated at length in an episode of Yes, Minister - the one with the bolshie local Cllr)

If the above figures are correct my next question is; are the UK reps drawing the same pay and conditions as our splendid local representatives??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We DO have a lot of debt to manage

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast