Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Meath East Did Fianna Fail run the wrong candidate?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Meath East Did Fianna Fail run the wrong candidate?

Speaking to a number of ' shrewd' political people over the Easter weekend a consensus opinion appears to be that the Fianna Fail candidate in Meath East was a poor choice. Thomas Byrne has strong associations with East Meath and Drogheda whereas the real battle ground in the By election was in the South of the constituency where Byrne has no presence.

The views expressed was that Helen McEntees surprising vote in the Southern part was no real surprise as there was no credible local candidate in that area. They felt that a local person ( Nick Killian?) could haver fought an effective local campaign in that area while consolidating the FF vote elsewhere.

This is not a criticism of Thomas Byrne - but he is not the superstar he thinks he is . It is a criticism of the FF handlers and perhaps adds credibility to the pre election story that FF were looking to Mary Wallace to run. ( Personally I think Mary would have bombed big time.)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grizzley View Post
    Speaking to a number of ' shrewd' political people over the Easter weekend a consensus opinion appears to be that the Fianna Fail candidate in Meath East was a poor choice. Thomas Byrne has strong associations with East Meath and Drogheda whereas the real battle ground in the By election was in the South of the constituency where Byrne has no presence.

The views expressed was that Helen McEntees surprising vote in the Southern part was no real surprise as there was no credible local candidate in that area. They felt that a local person ( Nick Killian?) could haver fought an effective local campaign in that area while consolidating the FF vote elsewhere.

This is not a criticism of Thomas Byrne - but he is not the superstar he thinks he is . It is a criticism of the FF handlers and perhaps adds credibility to the pre elction story that FF were looking to Mary Wallace to run. ( Personally I think Mary would have bombed big time.)
    While I don't rate Byrne at all on any level, Helen McEntee was a spectacularly good candidate who would have also beaten pretty much any other candidate outside that of Byrne.
    FF said hello and welcome to the IMF. FG said goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They had difficulty finding a bereaved candidate with a recently deceased sitting TD parent.

Life's a beach...

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who cares ?

The main thing is that he did not get elected.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Who cares ?

The main thing is that he did not get elected.
    We'll just have to wait for the few weeks of Helen's chilling out to listen to some incisive Lucindaesque claptrap. I can't wait!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I think it's an extreme case of Monday Morning quarterbacking to question it too deeply. FF moved their FPV from 20% to 32% in the course of 18 months. Byrne personally more than doubled his FPV.

They did this in an area which was dominated by the govt in 2011 (60+% FPV) and where the main opposition candidate was a member of the locally popular governing party and the daughter of a 2 time TD.

Some seats are unwinnable. This was one of them.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Supposedly they did want to run Mary Wallace, but she rejected them and so they ran Byrne.
    "Give us the future, we've had enough of YOUR past, Give us back our country, to live in, to grow in and to love..."

Helen McEntee was a spectacularly good candidate

What a stupid comment that was!Helen McEntee got elected on a sympathy vote nothing else.

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I prefer not to think that Fianna Fáil could have done even better.

Politics.ie Member the secretary's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalMeath1986 View Post
    Helen McEntee was a spectacularly good candidate

What a stupid comment that was!Helen McEntee got elected on a sympathy vote nothing else.
    Exactly, nothing spectacular about her. Only for the circumstances that existed, no other FG candidate only her would have won. It probably would have been Byrne that would now by the TD for Meath East

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast