Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When did this happen?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default When did this happen?

Was reading the Metro this morning (passing the time, ya know) and I read the article on a UK gulf war veteran (aged 42) who was found dead in his car. At the funeral a friend said:

"Paul [O'Brien] was a kind man. When he was in Northern Ireland he was on a reconnaissance mission into the Republic of Ireland and came under attack. His best friend was killed, but the army couldn't bring a helicopter in to pick them up. Paul carried his friend's body for five miles to the border."

I don't remember hearing about any such incident - but then I may not have been public knowledge. Based on the man's age, it couldn't have happened any earlier than 1988 (when he was 18).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't sound at all shocking or surprising that stuff like this would have went on. The only question I'd have would be: who did they come under attack from? Irish security forces or the IRA?
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't beleive that that happened. If the IRA had killed British personnel on this side of the border in the 80s or 90s they'd have claimed it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    Doesn't sound at all shocking or surprising that stuff like this would have went on. The only question I'd have would be: who did they come under attack from? Irish security forces or the IRA?
    The balance of probability is it was the IRA.

I wonder how the dealth of the soldier was explained at the time. They'd hardly have announced 'died while illegally invading a friendly country'. 'A Training Accident', perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    I don't beleive that that happened. If the IRA had killed British personnel on this side of the border in the 80s or 90s they'd have claimed it.
    Possibly, but they may not have known they killed him, if the body was removed back to the North.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanie Lemass View Post
    I don't see why. If they did, they'd have to own up to reconnaissance patrols on the other side of the border. Not that anyone would have been surprised by it, but it'd still be a difficult thing to sell to the international community.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    The balance of probability is it was the IRA.

I wonder how the dealth of the soldier was explained at the time. They'd hardly have announced 'died while illegally invading a friendly country'. 'A Training Accident', perhaps?
    Not sure I'd say they were "invading" another country. Given the IRA's pattern of slipping across the border after attacks it's only natural the British security forces would have to try and do something about this. Gathering information if nothing else. Would be interesting to know how far "behind enemy lines" they actually were?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Possibly, but they may not have known they killed him, if the body was removed back to the North.

They'd still have highlighted an incursion as indeed An Phoblacht regularly did when British soldiers crossed the border. In one case a helicopter flew a good distance into Louth. Any 'fire fight' five miles this side of the border would have been widely known about.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It sounds like a tall tale to me.

Don't get me wrong- I'm sure the border was routinely crossed, but 5 miles? raging a dead mate, While under enemy attack?

I'd say it's a bar story.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    I don't see why. If they did, they'd have to own up to reconnaissance patrols on the other side of the border. Not that anyone would have been surprised by it, but it'd still be a difficult thing to sell to the international community.
    A dead soldier five miles into Irish territory would have been a hug coup. The IRA would never have let them out of the country.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast