Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The MP, the football club and the fascist manager.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The MP, the football club and the fascist manager.

The Labour MP for South Shields, David Milliband has resigned from his position as vice-chairman of Sunderland FC over the appointment of Paolo di Canio as new manager. Apparently, di Canio has been seen in the past giving some Roman salutes to fans. He also described himself as a fascist but insists he is "not a racist".

Are we not getting a little hung up on symbols like salutes? I don't recall di Canio ever making a racist statement and let's face it, there are CEOS, managers etc. out there that actually are racists but no-one seems to be resigning from those companies.

Milliband is leaving British politics to take up a position with a charity in the USA. Is he just using this "controversy" to justify a move he'd be making soon any way?

David Miliband Quits Sunderland Over Di Canio

Mods, this issue is about more than football. It's a general question of whether one endorses someone else's position by working with them or in their company or being associated with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's a strange day when one can defend oneself as a fascist.

If any of this is true.

I don't follow football so I don't know the ins and outs of the macho wánkfest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I presumeyou know what a Roman Salute is?
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iphonista View Post
    The MP for South Shields, David Milliband has resigned from his position as vice-chairman of Sunderland FC over the appointment of Paolo di Canio as new manager. Apparently, di Canio has been seen in the past giving some Roman salutes to fans. He also described himself as a fascist but insists he is "not a racist".

Are we not getting a little hung up on symbols like salutes? I don't recall di Canio ever making a racist statement and let's face it, there are CEOS, managers etc. out there that actuall are racists but no-one seems to be resigning from those companies.

Milliband is leaving British politics to take up a position with a charity in the USA. Is he just using this "controversy" to justify a move he'd be making soon any way?

Mods, this issue is about more than football. It's a general question of whether one endorses someone else's position by working with them or in their company or being associated with them.
    @arturpetrosyan: #Sunderland will now probably become the English #Zenit and go on without any black players in the team. #DiCanio http://t.co/uCHTf6S8Uh
    #3amigos

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dresden8 View Post
    It's a strange day when one can defend oneself as a fascist.

If any of this is true.

I don't follow football so I don't know the ins and outs of the macho wánkfest.
    What objectionable views does he hold?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know. I'm following the posts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The MP for South Shields, David Milliband has resigned from his position as vice-chairman of Sunderland FC over the appointment of Paolo di Canio as new manager. Apparently, di Canio has been seen in the past giving some Roman salutes to fans. He also described himself as a fascist but insists he is "not a racist".

Are we not getting a little hung up on symbols like salutes? I don't recall di Canio ever making a racist statement and let's face it, there are CEOS, managers etc. out there that actuall are racists but no-one seems to be resigning from those companies.

There is no 'apparently', he does give fascist salutes I'm a fascist, not a racist, says Paolo di Canio - Telegraph. The history of fascism is wedded to racism, and fascism has destroyed countries and nations in the recent past - not least Di Canio's homeland. If Di Canio tries to portray fascism as non-racist then he's either uneducated or he's a liar. Milliband was right to resign.
    Cry your hardest now, it opens the lungs, washes the countenance, exercises the eyes and softens down the temper. So cry away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He thinks Sunderland have a football team.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumble View Post
    There is no 'apparently', he does give fascist salutes I'm a fascist, not a racist, says Paolo di Canio - Telegraph. The history of fascism is wedded to racism, and fascism has destroyed countries and nations in the recent past - not least Di Canio's homeland. If Di Canio tries to portray fascism as non-racist then he's either uneducated or he's a liar. Milliband was right to resign.
    Something tells me that if he'd said he was a communist, everything would be fine.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Saw this earlier on the Tweet Tweet,

Is Di Canio the guy who pushed over that wimp ref?

Even if he is a fascist, it's a bit rich of Millipod the Elder,

Given that he has the blood of hundreds of thousands of innocent people on his hands,

Btw - it wouldn't be a good time for anyone to try to justify the Iraq invasion, as I'm watching The Hurt Locker in tv3 and iv had a bottle of wine,

You have been warned,

Page 1 of 40 1234511 ... LastLast