Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 88 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: SDLP calls for release of Marian Price

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default SDLP calls for release of Marian Price

SDLP have called for the release of Marian Price from prison.

From RTE News
    SDLP leader Alasdair McDonnell has called for the release from prison of Marian Price.
    The Belfast woman was arrested after she attended a dissident republican Easter event two years ago and she has on-going health issues. Our Northern Editor, Tommie Gorman
    With her sister Dolours, Marian Price was imprisoned for the IRA bombing of the Old Bailey in 1973.
    During a campaign to be repatriated to an Irish jail, the sisters were force fed while on hunger strike. Their health suffered and they were released early.
    Two years ago Marian Price was rearrested after a dissident republican Easter rally in Derry. She has been in poor health since.
    Mr McDonnell says she should be released from prison and if she has a case to answer she should be brought before the courts.
    Is this genuine sympathy from SDLP or is it a false attempt to gain sympathy so as to steal republican/nationalist votes away from Sinn Féin?
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    SDLP have called for the release of Marian Price from prison.

From RTE News

Is this genuine sympathy from SDLP or is it a false attempt to gain sympathy so as to steal republican/nationalist votes away from Sinn Féin?

Bit of both I suspect.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All political parties should be calling for her release. Locking people up without trial doesn't really cut it in 2013. Curiously, have FG released a statement regards her internment?
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Castle Ray

Of course it's just SDLP establishing its green credentials. They might think Price is being hard done by but to think they aren't calling for her release is not for their own Political gain is naive. All parties do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    Of course it's just SDLP establishing its green credentials. They might think Price is being hard done by but to think they aren't calling for her release is not for their own Political gain is naive. All parties do it.
    True, the SDLP has been very active in their work with anti-GFA prisoners. It's like they have found a little niche in the republican market due to the disdain shown by SF to republicans who don't follow its strategy.

Castle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    True, the SDLP has been very active in their work with anti-GFA prisoners. It's like they have found a little niche in the republican market due to the disdain shown by SF to republicans who don't follow its strategy.
    Sectarian politics requires angry tribes. SF dominated the tribe's anger, the SDLP is carving a niche where SF can't steal their clothes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I love how "Not following their strategy" is the expression used for "Choosing to be an unrepentant terrorist who hang around with armed masked men"

SF have pushed for her removal (despite her telling them to get lost) and have campaigned and protested on her behalf (despite her telling them to get lost). What else could they do for this unrepentant terrorist?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    I love how "Not following their strategy" is the expression used for "Choosing to be an unrepentant terrorist who hang around with armed masked men"

SF have pushed for her removal (despite her telling them to get lost) and have campaigned and protested on her behalf (despite her telling them to get lost). What else could they do for this unrepentant terrorist?
    Laughable really that you say that. SF have played a game with Price, if she wasn't so high profile they wouldn't give a flying ****************************** about her, SF has cleverly worked out she has a great deal of sympathy and respect in her native west Belfast. SF has called for republicans who don' follow their strategy to be locked up. SF has labelled them criminals, traitors and conflict junkies. You'd think some SF members haven't even heard of the PIRA and their names calling and felon setting is nauseous.

When we are on the subject of expressions, I love how you used the word 'removal' when the real expression is 'released from prison'. Truly pathetic, but I expect very little else when I see you ignorant avatar poking its ignorant head into this forum.

What else could they do for this woman you ask?
    Same thing they did for Sean Kelly, the McCartney suspect and countless other ex-prisoners who do indeed follow its strategy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    The latter with a big dollop of attention seeking.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So explain to me what else they could do.

This month they have:

Appeared at her parole hearing, McGuinness appeared McGuinness urged to

Issued a public statement:
    “The continued imprisonment of Marian Price and Martin Corey is an affront to justice and they should be released immediately. They are held without charge or trial.”
    Sent letters to the Secretary for her:
    Fermanagh Council to ask secretary of state to release Marian Price from prison / Impartial Reporter / News / Roundup

They've met the secretary on her behalf: Sinn Féin MLAs press Villiers over Marian Price imprisonment | Sinn Féin

They've contacted international figures on her behalf: Adams calls for release of Marian Price | Sinn Féin

That's just this month. So explain to me: What else do you want SF to do for her?

What have the SDLP done for her this month? Eirigi? You? What organisation can be evidenced as doing more than SF?
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 88 123451151 ... LastLast